Where to Find the Coefficient of Friction Between Paper and Plexiglass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 5K views
baseballer10p
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
I've searched for this on google, but haven't found anything; does anyone know where to find the coefficient of friction between paper and plexiglass?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can't find it, you can test it yourself. There are probably many different methods of doing so, you can probably find some online. The easiest would require a spring scale but if you don't have one you can find another method.
 
I don't have a spring scale, but do you have a suggestion on where to look for an alternate method? Thanks.
 
Put it on an incline and tilt it till it slides, but I suspect you're going to have a whole bunch of electrostatic stickiness.
 
TVP45 said:
Put it on an incline and tilt it till it slides.

that's a really good idea. at least to get the coefficient of static friction.

i would suggest trying it with a few different weights on top of the paper, but if the coefficient of static friction remains constant, the angle of tilt (when sliding begins) should be the same, no matter what the weight is. the coefficient of static friction is a function of the angle of tilt.
 
Thanks a lot guys. I did it by using the incline idea.
 
baseballer10p said:
.35088

May I ask how you got it to that precision with an inclined plane?
 
TVP45 said:
May I ask how you got it to that precision with an inclined plane?

No kidding, that's like 19.3349 degrees!
 
stewartcs said:
No kidding, that's like 19.3349 degrees!

you just need a really good protractor. :smile:
 
well, i don't want to round yet because i need that to do calculations.

jeez