Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to start for master's in physics?

  1. Aug 13, 2011 #1
    Hi guys,
    I started studying physics in my sophomore year in college (which I just finished).
    I am taking classes like optics and relativity next year, and as I will be already Junior next year, I have been trying to gather some information about master's degree in physics or engineering in USA or in Europe, if they use English in the classes (I am an international student).

    My plan is to graduate college with B.S. in physics and get a Master's in physics or engineering. But I am not sure from where to start this process - what aspects to look for when choosing universities, what things to do to get ready to apply for good schools, and whether they give FA to students studying for M.S.

    I had searched online for a bit but could not really get information from the people who went through this, so I thought it is best to post a thread on this forum. If you have studied physics and went through this phase, know someone went through this process, or know a website that has this information, please kindly share your information.

    Thanks so much in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Is there a reason why you are aiming just for a Masters degree?

    Many international students have this false impression that one needs to go for a Masters Degree first before pursuing a PhD degree in the US. This is untrue.

  4. Aug 14, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply Zz.

    I am a total novice to pro-undergraduate process.
    Could you explain to me the difference between master's program and Ph.D?
    I thought one has to go through Master's program before pursuing Ph.D.

    So if I want to pursue Ph.D at Yale University in Physics or Engineering, I apply for Ph.D program right after undergraduate and I would be considered for their financial fellowships for entire period of time me being there, which are not available for students pursuing master's program?

    Thanks in advance Zz.

  5. Aug 14, 2011 #4

    This is true for most degrees in Europe. In the USA, it's not.
  6. Aug 14, 2011 #5
    Read ZapperZ's sticky thread at the top of the forum.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook