Where can I begin studying GR with a basic math background?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in math and interest in studying general relativity (GR). They ask for advice on where to start and what prerequisites are needed. A suggested resource is mentioned, but it is noted that the approach to studying GR depends on one's existing background and willingness to strengthen it.
Michael Dinwiddie
First of all, I'm new here, so hello everyone!

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread,
I recently started getting into high-ish physics in general, so I'm coming from a low-ish background in the way of math- a couple courses of calculus (single variable covering the basics of the limits and derivatives.. that's about it.) along with high school math of course. I was wondering where to start studying GR, and of course what sort of prerequisites I might need.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://online.duke.edu/projects/introduction-astronomy/

A student I mentor took this course (through Coursera) a couple years ago while in high school and was well prepared for his undergraduate GR course at a top 30 university. But the undergrad GR course is aimed at non-science majors so is pretty light on the math. Being a physics major he is finding it interesting, but not particularly challenging.

But the approach one takes to GR depends strongly on one's existing background and how much you are willing to strengthen it before really jumping into GR.

Thanks; I'll check it out.

1. What is GR?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects interact with each other and how they affect the fabric of space and time.

2. Do I need a strong math background to study GR?

While a strong math background is helpful, it is not necessary to begin studying GR. A basic understanding of algebra, calculus, and geometry is sufficient to start learning about GR.

3. Where can I find resources to study GR with a basic math background?

There are many online resources available for studying GR with a basic math background. Some recommended sources include introductory textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, and educational websites such as Khan Academy.

4. What are the key concepts to focus on when studying GR?

The key concepts to focus on when studying GR include spacetime, curvature, and the Einstein field equations. It is also important to have a good understanding of mathematical concepts such as tensors and differential geometry.

5. Is it necessary to have a physics background to study GR?

Having a basic understanding of physics, particularly classical mechanics and electromagnetism, can be helpful when studying GR. However, it is not necessary as long as you have a strong grasp of the mathematical concepts involved.