Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to start?

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    Im just starting to study calculus at home myself, and Im trying to figure out where to start. Ive got a few books, which are Calculus Made Easy by Thompson, and Forgotten Calculus Bleau, under Barron's. Should I start from the very beginning and just go over functions again like back in freshman year or should I study any other types of math? Ive never really done calculus so I dont know all thats involved besides functions. Does anybody have any advice to give on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

how do you like thompson?

4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    Well I dont know much at all about calculus but I think this book is what Im looking for. I like doing the work on paper with a pencil...instead of using a computer or a calculator, despite the difficulty difference. I think it makes you think more and get a better grasp on the subject, and this book seems to cover 'traditional' rather than the I guess 'new' way of doing problems. So its good I guess..Do you know of any other good books like Thompsons?

5. Nov 19, 2007 #4
    And, actually, this book is very clear on what Im trying to figure out. Last year I forgot functions, not knowing that Id be using them later in calculus (and I regret blowing them off like I did), and no books Ive read up until now were so clear as these first few pages. I remember everything already. Although, however, Thompson didnt write the functions part, but Gardner did a great job explaining. Im reading it now and its already more interesting than any other book I've read so far, so hopefully this book works out for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?