1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where will the normal force on the block act if it tips?

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cube of side l rests on a rough floor. It is subjected to a steady horizontal pull F, exerted a distance h above the floor as shown below. As F increases, the block will either begin to slide, or begin to tip over and thus rotate. Determine the coefficient of static friction so that (a) the block begins to slide rather than tip; (b) the block begins to tip. [Hint: Where will the normal force on the block act if it tips?]

2. Relevant equations
    fs=(u(s))(N)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not even sure where to start this problem. With no values the equation for the coefficient of static friction seems useless.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Set the sum of moments around the point of rotation of the block equal to zero. You can get the mass of the block out of this equation. Now you have everything you need to calculate the coefficient of friction.

4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    Could you explain further?
    I have the equations
    f_s=u_s * n
    |n|=mg
    f_s=u_s*m*g

I=mr^2
    m=(r^2)/I

I don't understand how setting
    summation(mr^2)=0 will help me.

I'm also assuming that the "point of rotation" is just the edge of the cube.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook