Where will the normal force on the block act if it tips?

In summary, this problem involves a cube resting on a rough surface and subjected to a horizontal pull at a certain distance above the floor. The goal is to determine the coefficient of static friction for two different scenarios: when the block begins to slide and when it begins to tip over. The equation for the coefficient of static friction is fs = us * N, where N is equal to the normal force on the block. To solve for us, one must set the sum of moments around the point of rotation of the block equal to zero, which can be done by using the equations for mass and moment of inertia.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

A cube of side l rests on a rough floor. It is subjected to a steady horizontal pull F, exerted a distance h above the floor as shown below. As F increases, the block will either begin to slide, or begin to tip over and thus rotate. Determine the coefficient of static friction so that (a) the block begins to slide rather than tip; (b) the block begins to tip. [Hint: Where will the normal force on the block act if it tips?]

Homework Equations

fs=(u(s))(N)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure where to start this problem. With no values the equation for the coefficient of static friction seems useless.

Physics news on Phys.org
Set the sum of moments around the point of rotation of the block equal to zero. You can get the mass of the block out of this equation. Now you have everything you need to calculate the coefficient of friction.

radou said:
Set the sum of moments around the point of rotation of the block equal to zero. You can get the mass of the block out of this equation. Now you have everything you need to calculate the coefficient of friction.
Could you explain further?
I have the equations
f_s=u_s * n
|n|=mg
f_s=u_s*m*g

I=mr^2
m=(r^2)/I

I don't understand how setting
summation(mr^2)=0 will help me.

I'm also assuming that the "point of rotation" is just the edge of the cube.

Attachments

• cube.jpg
    cube.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 355

1. What is the normal force on a block?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the object on the surface, according to Newton's third law of motion.

2. What is considered a "tipping" block?

A block is considered to be "tipping" when it is on the verge of falling or losing its equilibrium. This usually occurs when the center of gravity of the block is not directly above its base of support.

3. Where does the normal force act on a tipping block?

The normal force on a tipping block will act at the point where the block is in contact with the surface. This means that the normal force will act at the bottom of the block, opposite to the direction of its weight.

4. Will the normal force change if the block tips?

Yes, the normal force will change as the block tips. As the block tilts, the angle between the surface and the block will change, causing the normal force to act at a different angle. This will result in a change in the magnitude of the normal force.

5. How does the normal force affect the tipping of a block?

The normal force plays a crucial role in determining whether a block will tip or not. The normal force acts to prevent the block from falling over by providing an equal and opposite force to the weight of the block. If the normal force is greater than the weight, the block will remain stable. However, if the normal force is less than the weight, the block will tip and potentially fall over.