Whether Photons Do In Fact Age

• Thread starter SolomonSnake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Photons
In summary, the initial poster shared that learning about the agelessness of photons and the concept of time dilation for objects traveling at the speed of light transformed their view of the world. Another user responded with a technical explanation about how gravity affects the perception of time for objects, but the explanation was confusing and did not make sense. The initial poster expressed difficulty understanding the explanation and clarified that they were not trying to one-up the other user.
SolomonSnake
Hi I was posting on io9 on a thread that asked "what scientific fact transformed the way you view the world?"

I posted

When I learned that photons, particles of light, do not age. That they are the same age they were at the beginning of the Big Bang, to illuminating the world around me, and until the death of the last star. I'd always known that when you travel closer to the speed of light time slows down, but I never quite made the leap to understanding what that means for light itself and that it is arrested in time.

I got that from Brian Greene in The Elegant Universe.

...in the majority of circumstances (slow speeds) most of an objects motion is through time, not space...the maximum speed through space occurs if all of an objects motion through time is diverted to motion through space...thus light does not get old; a photon that emerged from the big bang is the same age today as it was then. There is no passage of time at light speed.

Someone responded challenging me with.

It's not, really; in Special Relativity light always follows a null geodesic, and if you rearrange your system of coordinates so that it holds still, everything else follows a null geodesic. You can still play games with the line element in General Relativity so that when you hold a particle of light still, everything that is not light continues to follow spacelike geodesics. This, however, requires curved spacetime (which is not a feature of Special Relativity, which is built on the flat spacetime (Minkowski space) metric).

A more technical explanation would get pretty wordy since SR and GR have vastly different concepts of mass and energy-momentum itself is self-gravitating in the latter. Very very roughly, when you hold a particle of light still in a frame of reference, its momentum is transferred to the gravitational field, which in turn affects the notional "clocks" that ride along with other objects, such that the centre-of-momentum-frame photon sees them ticking faster in a higher gravitational potential (essentially like orbiting atomic clocks have a gravitational blueshift to us on the ground — ignoring the velocity differences, GPS satellites' time codes are a little faster than they would be in a lab on the ground, and in turn they see sea-level atomic clocks, at a lower gravitational potential (as they have less far to fall to the middle of the Earth) ticking a little slower than they would be in orbit).

So your held-still photon still gets a view of the universe around it as ticking along, and so the held-still photon can in principle calculate the passage of time in a universe which has both slower-than-light objects in it and Einstienian gravity.

I'm really having a hard time making sense of his reasoning and why gravity changes this. Also the term "held-still photon" isn't something I've ever come across. Maybe I shouldn't have used the phrase "arrested in time" or something. I'm not looking to one up this guy. I'd just really like this to be clarified.

I've spent at least an hour looking into this and I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken, but I really can't decipher this guys comment.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot decipher it because it does not make much sense. Light follows null geodesics regardless of the coordinate system chosen and massive objects follow time-like paths. This is an inherent property of how objects behave in space-time and has nothing to do with changing coordinates.

Sure, you can find a coordinate system where a light signal follows a coordinate line, but this coordinate will then have a zero in the diagonal component of the metric tensor for this coordinate.

1. What is the current understanding of the aging process of photons?

The aging process of photons is a topic that is still being actively studied and debated within the scientific community. Currently, there is no consensus on whether photons actually age or not. Some theories suggest that photons do not age as they do not experience time in the same way that matter does. Others propose that photons may experience a type of "pseudo-aging" due to interactions with other particles.

2. How can we measure the age of a photon?

Currently, there is no established method for measuring the age of a photon. Since photons do not experience time in the same way that matter does, traditional methods of measuring age (such as radioactive decay) do not apply. Some scientists have proposed using the wavelength of a photon as a measure of its age, but this is still a topic of ongoing research.

3. Can photons decay or die?

According to current understanding, photons do not decay or die in the traditional sense. They are considered to be fundamental particles that do not break down into smaller components. However, some theories suggest that photons may undergo a type of "decoherence" over time, which can alter their properties and behavior.

4. Is there any evidence that supports the idea of photon aging?

There is currently no direct evidence that supports the idea of photon aging. However, there have been some experiments that suggest photons may undergo changes over time due to interactions with other particles. Additionally, the concept of photon aging is still a subject of ongoing theoretical research.

5. How does the concept of photon aging impact our understanding of the universe?

If it is ultimately determined that photons do age, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially change our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the concept of time itself. However, until there is more conclusive evidence and consensus within the scientific community, the impact of photon aging on our understanding of the universe remains uncertain.