Which Course Sequence is Best for Math Econ Majors?

In summary, the individual is a freshman majoring in mathematical econ and minor in statistics. They are seeking advice for their dilemma for the upcoming spring quarter, which includes options for courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and a GE elective. The main difference between their two plans is whether to take linear algebra or statistics first. The individual personally recommends taking linear algebra first, as it is a useful subject and a prerequisite for vector calculus.
EeLoOd
hi all, i asked this question on y! answers and one guy gave me an advice to come here, sign up, and ask. i hope I'm in the right place!

i'm a freshman majoring in mathematical econ and minor in statistics to prepare myself for the actuarial exams (and open up other career options). for this spring quarter, I'm faced with a dilemma. let me show a couple plans for this year:

{
This spring quarter (March~June):
*calculus II (integrals) [5 units]
*statistics [5 units]
*ge elective [5 units]

This fall quarter
*calculus III (vector, multi-variable) [ 5units]
*linear algebra (computational) [5 units]
*elective
}

or

{
This spring quarter (March~June):
*calculus II (integrals) [5 units]
*linear algebra[5 units]
*ge elective [5 units]

This fall quarter
*calculus III (vector, multi-variable) [ 5units]
*statistics [5 units]
*elective
}

the main difference between the two is whether to take linear algebra first or statistics. which route would be more beneficial?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm only in second semester, but I've found linear algebra quite useful already, and I've heard a lot of people say in 3rd/4th year (engineering anyway) saying that it's a subject they use a lot. Personally I'd take linear algebra first, especially since you're looking to take vector calculus in the fall. (Linear algebra is actually a prerequisite for vector calculus at my school). It's quite a useful course from what I've found.

What is a math econ major?

A math econ major is a discipline that combines mathematical techniques and economic theory to analyze and solve real-world problems related to economics. It is a multidisciplinary field that incorporates concepts from both mathematics and economics.

What are the core courses required for a math econ major?

The core courses required for a math econ major typically include calculus, linear algebra, microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics, and mathematical economics. Some programs may also require courses in statistics, computer science, and advanced mathematics.

What are the benefits of taking a math-heavy course sequence for a math econ major?

A math-heavy course sequence provides a strong foundation in mathematical and statistical techniques, which are crucial for understanding and analyzing economic data. It also prepares students for graduate studies in economics or related fields.

What are the advantages of taking an economics-heavy course sequence for a math econ major?

An economics-heavy course sequence focuses on the theoretical and applied aspects of economics, providing students with a deep understanding of economic principles and policies. It also prepares students for careers in government, consulting, or finance.

Is there a specific course sequence that is considered the best for math econ majors?

There is no one "best" course sequence for math econ majors, as it ultimately depends on individual strengths, interests, and career goals. Some students may benefit from a balanced approach, while others may excel with a more math-heavy or economics-heavy course sequence. It is important to consult with academic advisors and consider personal strengths and career aspirations when selecting a course sequence.