Which engineering branch to take?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which engineering branch to pursue. They have narrowed down their options to electronics engineering, aerospace engineering, computer science, and nuclear engineering after researching courses on ocw.mit.edu. They are specifically concerned about job opportunities in the aerospace engineering field as a non-US citizen studying in the US. The person responding suggests considering personal interests and reevaluating career ambitions during their third year of university.
cooleinstein
which engineering branch to take??

I am thinking about which engineering branch to take up . I love physics and mathematics . I have shortlisted 4 engineering majors that i liked after looking up its courses on ocw.mit.edu
electronics engineering
aerospace engineering
computer science
nuclear engineering

which major should i take up ?..
Also as most aerospace engineers work in govt projects like in DEFENSE,NASA etc...as i am not a US citizen ( I am going to go to US for college ) Would it affect my job oppurtunities as a AEROSPACE ENGINEERING MAJOR or can i still work at US DEFENSE , NASA etc...

Physics news on Phys.org

Take a look at the invidual courses involved in each programme and see which you like more.

As for your future career ambitions, I would suggest putting those aside, reconsider them when you're in your 3'rd year at the university.

1. What are the different branches of engineering?

The main branches of engineering are electrical, mechanical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. There are also many specialized branches within these main branches.

2. How do I decide which branch of engineering is right for me?

Consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when deciding on an engineering branch. Research the different branches and their job prospects to see which aligns best with your skills and interests.

3. What is the difference between electrical and mechanical engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems, while mechanical engineering deals with the design and development of mechanical systems. Electrical engineers work with electricity and circuits, while mechanical engineers work with machines and mechanical systems.

4. Which engineering branch has the most job opportunities?

It depends on the current job market and the specific industry. However, electrical and mechanical engineering are typically in high demand and offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries.

5. Can I switch branches of engineering after starting my studies or career?

Yes, it is possible to switch branches of engineering, but it may require additional coursework or training. It is important to research and plan before making a switch to ensure a smooth transition and to avoid setbacks in your studies or career.