1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which field of mathematics do you suggest?

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    hi,
    i will consult master programme ,there are a few fields of math in the university which i can study.This fields are geometry,topology,functional theory and analysis,algebra and number theory and the last one applied mathematics.
    Actually i don't know exactly what do this fields deal with or what can be done in this fields so i want to ask you which one should i prefer?which one is more popular in today's world ?

thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know where you live or where you are contemplating attending college but most colleges that I know discourage choosing a major before the second year in college (you may probably have an idea as to whether you want to go into a science or humanities or business before then but shouldn't make a decision as to what specific major until then). I would not expect a person to decide which specific field of mathematics to go into until late in a math major or in Graduate School.

4. Jul 17, 2009 #3
    What were your favourite math classes and material when you were an undergrad? Some more info about yourself would help with an answer.

5. Jul 17, 2009 #4
    i would like to use math in daily life ,i would like to model the problems in life with mathematic i mean i wanna use math efficiently in daily life of course i don't mean addition,sustraction... i mean when i encountered with a complicated problem i might solve it ,actually i think i feel myself near to applied math more than other fields but as i said at first post i don't know exactly what do this fields of math deal with? i don't even know that things above i mentioned is related with applied math or not

in addition to i liked differential equations and complex analysis at undergraduate

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook