Which Graduate Programs Should I Consider for a Career in Weapons Design?

In summary, a second year mathematics and physics student is seeking advice on graduate study programs in the US related to their passion for ballistic trajectories, weapons, and explosives. They are open to suggestions for specific programs or resources for searching. Some recommended fields of study include Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, and Materials Science Engineering. It is also beneficial to have a military background, but not necessary.
sociophysipath
Hi all,

I am rather new to the forum and am a second year mathematics and physics student if that has any relevancy to the question I have.

My passions involve studying things like ballistic trajectories, missiles/drones, explosives, and other sort of weapons with possible military/defense applications. I have a decent amount experience with firearms, ballistics study, and home-made explosives, and I would like to know if anyone knowledgeable about graduate study programs in the US has any sort of recommendations about what type of program I should look for, or at the very least, any sort of resource for searching different graduate programs that is better than a google search (surely there must be one, but I can't seem to find anything).

Any sort of response is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Aeronautical and Mechanical would be the first ones that come to mind as far as designing ballistics and the weapons themselves go. Then I'd have to say Electrical Engineering / Computer Science (not really comp sci, but more the general study of controls and programming, an EE degree with a controls focus would be a decent start). Chemical engineering and Materials Science engineering would be useful for casings/housings/incendiary charges, etc.

There's no one path to get there. But I would say it would help to have a military background; though it's certainly not necessary.

1. What is a weapons design career track?

A weapons design career track is a career path that involves designing and developing various types of weapons, such as firearms, missiles, and explosives. This career track typically requires a strong background in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What are the job responsibilities of a weapons designer?

The job responsibilities of a weapons designer may vary depending on the specific role, but generally, they involve conducting research, designing and prototyping weapons, testing and evaluating their effectiveness, and making improvements or modifications as needed.

3. What education and skills are required for a career in weapons design?

A career in weapons design typically requires at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or physics. Additionally, strong skills in mathematics, computer-aided design (CAD), and problem-solving are essential for this career track.

4. What industries or organizations employ weapons designers?

Weapons designers may work in a variety of industries and organizations, including government agencies, defense contractors, and research institutions. They may also work in the military or for private companies that develop and manufacture weapons.

5. Are there any ethical considerations in a weapons design career track?

Yes, there are ethical considerations in a weapons design career track. As a weapons designer, you may be responsible for creating weapons that have the potential to cause harm and take lives. It is important to consider the potential consequences of your designs and to adhere to ethical principles in your work.