Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is the densest star and how much does it bend light rays?

1. May 28, 2008 #1
    Can someone tell me how much does a light ray bend when it passes over the surface of the densest star known?

Is it like 1 degree, or more like 30 degrees?

Please leave out black holes, this question is about normal stars, the densest one that is known.

Is Sirius the densest normal star known?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2008 #2
    I believe the densest type of star would be a neutron star. Not sure about what the limits of the mass of such a star would be and that is qhat is needed to determine the maximum amount of deflection.

Pete

4. May 28, 2008 #3
    It can be shown that an onion-like distribution of mass is equivalent to a point mass (ie the field it produces outside is identical to that of a point mass, shell theorem). Therefore, if I give you the radius of a star, and its mass, can you work out the deflection?

If yes, would that be a numerical calculation or it can be done analytically too, in approximation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?