Which of these should I take before Grad School?

In summary, a student is currently majoring in Mechanical Engineering and wants to eventually pursue a career in Nuclear Engineering. However, their school only offers a minor in Nuclear Engineering and they are wondering if this will hinder their ability to work in the field. The expert suggests taking as many courses as possible for the minor and also recommends courses in fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and possibly physics. They also clarify that taking a course on Biological Effects of Radiation is only necessary if the student is interested in that specific topic.
WatermelonPig
Hi,

I am currently a Mechanical Engineering major (freshman) looking to eventually go into Nuclear Engineering, specifically fission or fusion power production. My school only offers a Nuclear Engineering minor so only a few classes. So is this necesarily a bad thing? If I want to head into power, then do I really need to take any classes on things such as biological effects of radiation, etc. Can I just take maybe 4-5 classes on what I plan to concentrate in and just ignore the rest of what is usually in a Nuclear Engineering undergraduate program?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming your school doesn't have a nuclear engineering program because that would be the obvious thing to do.

If it doesn't you would probably be fine with just a minor. Mechanical engineering is pretty broad so mechanical engineers can work in a lot of different fields. So definitely take as many courses as you can for the minor. Other subjects that are likely relevant include fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and heat transfer so you might want to take advanced courses in these subjects if they are offered. You may also want to look into courses in the physics department.

As for "Biological Effects of Radiation" that obviously depends on whether or not that is the kind of thing you are interested in. If not, then don't take it.

1. What kind of experience should I have before applying to grad school?

It is recommended to have research experience in your field of interest, as well as relevant internships or work experience. This will demonstrate your dedication and aptitude for graduate-level work.

2. Should I take any specific classes before applying to grad school?

It is beneficial to take classes that align with your intended graduate program, as this will show your readiness and preparation for the coursework. However, it is not necessary to have a specific set of classes as long as you have a strong academic background in your field.

3. Is it important to have a high GPA before applying to grad school?

A high GPA can strengthen your application, but it is not the only factor considered by admissions committees. Your research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also important factors in the decision-making process.

4. Should I take the GRE before applying to grad school?

Many graduate programs require the GRE, but some may also accept other standardized tests like the MCAT or GMAT. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if the GRE is necessary.

5. Is it better to have a Master's degree before applying for a PhD program?

It is not necessary to have a Master's degree before applying for a PhD program. Many students are admitted directly into a PhD program, while others may choose to earn a Master's degree first. It ultimately depends on your career goals and the requirements of the program you are interested in.