Which phase of matter has a fixed volume and takes the shape of its container?

In summary: It is just the opposite of the questioner's statement. Plasma takes the shape of its container, but it does not have a fixed volume. Solid has a fixed volume, but it takes the shape of its container.In summary, the questions are asking for the force needed to lift a car using hydraulic pistons, the height of a mercury column in a barometer, the tension in a cable holding a spherical steel shell in water, the pressure difference between the top and bottom of an airfoil, and the state of matter with a fixed volume and taking the shape of its container. Solutions include using Pascal's law and Archimedes Principle for the first and third questions, and Bernoulli's theorem for the fourth question.
Ripple
Here are a couple questions I could use help on, please help.

1. What force must be applied to a small cylinder piston with a diameter of 0.32 m to lift a car weighting 12,000 N that is supported by the piston in a large cylinder that has a diameter of 1.4 m? Assume that there is an enclosed chamber in common between the two pistons and that the chamber is filled with hydraulic oil.m?

2. What is the height in cm of the column of mercury for a mercury barometer when the atmospheric pressure at a certain location is 1 atm? The denisty of mercury is 13.55g/cm^3.

3. A sperical-shaped hollow steel shell, with a radius of 2.5m, containing some instruments, is lowered by a cable into a lake. The shell with itss contents weighs 7.2 X 10^5 N on the dect of the ship from which it is being lowered. What is the tension in the cable when the sphere is completely immersed in the water?

4.During level airplaine flight at a constant velocity, the pressure created by air flowing over the curved upper surface of the wing compared to the pressure created by air flowing along the flat underside of the wing is?

6. Which phase (State) of matter has a fixed volume and takes the shape of its container?

a. plasma
b. gas
c. liquid
d. solid

If someone could please explain and answer these for me, i would be forever in their debt. :zzz: :zzz:

-------------------------------------------------------------------- |
Why be you, when you could be me! |
____________________________________________________________ |

Physics news on Phys.org
Ripple said:
4.During level airplaine flight at a constant velocity, the pressure created by air flowing over the curved upper surface of the wing compared to the pressure created by air flowing along the flat underside of the wing is?
This is the only one that I can address, and I don't know if this is the answer you want. The pressure differential between the top and bottom of an airfoil in level flight is equal to the weight of the aircraft.

Should these questions belong to homework forums?

1. Check the pressure exerted by the car on the 1.4m dia piston. This is the same pressure acting upon the 0.32m piston also. So force to be applied can easily be calculated.(627N)

2. You must be joking.

3. Check the volume of water displaced. Check its weight. Deduct it from sphere weight. This is the net force acting on the cable.

4. Check Bernoulli's theorem?

6. You must be joking again.

100. Google is a great resource. Try your hands on Physics by Resnick and Haliday

Quark

This is for a buddy of mine, he is having a bit of trouble in his physics class.. he is the one doing all the work, he would like some answers to those, so that he can figure out how they were reached. If anyone else knows any more answers please don't hesitate to answer :)

:bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:

Ripple,

Did I say Physics by Resnick and Haliday? You should read it as Fluid Mechanics by Steiter.

1. This solution is based on Pascal's law which states that pressure exerted by a fluid in a closed container is same in all directions. Thus a 12000N force creates a pressure of 12000/(3.142x1.4x1.4)/4 N/sq.m pressure on a 1.4 m radius piston. This same pressure acts upon the 0.32m piston also. So force to be applied on 0.32m piston is [(3.142x0.32x0.32)/4]x[12000/(3.142*1.4*1.4/4). Or simply the forces are inversely proportional to the square of the piston diameter.

2. Rise in mercury column at atmospheric pressure is 76cm. Just use the forumla P = rhoxgxh, where rho is the density of the material(more precisely specific weight), g is acceleration due to gravity and h is the liquid column height.

3. You should refer Archimedes Principle to solve this problem. When a body submerges in water, it looses its weight equal to that of the water displaced. So, the spherical steel shell displaces water to a volume of 4x3.142x2.5^3/3. Density of water is 1kg/cu.m. So total weight of water displaced is (4x3.142x2.5^3/3)x9.81 which gives you a value in N. Deduct this value from weight of shell on the deck and you will get the tension in the rope.

4. If the pressure on the lower side of the wing is lower than that of the upperside, the plane can't float in the air. Danger had it right.

6. I still feel you are joking.

Related to Which phase of matter has a fixed volume and takes the shape of its container?

1. What are the three phases of matter?

The three phases of matter are solid, liquid, and gas.

2. What is the definition of a fixed volume?

A fixed volume refers to the amount of space that a substance occupies, which remains constant regardless of changes in pressure or temperature.

3. Which phase of matter has a fixed volume and takes the shape of its container?

The liquid phase has a fixed volume and takes the shape of its container.

4. Can a substance change phases without changing its volume?

Yes, a substance can change phases without changing its volume. For example, water can change from a liquid to a solid (ice) without changing its volume.

5. How does the temperature affect the volume of a substance?

As temperature increases, the volume of a substance usually increases, and as temperature decreases, the volume usually decreases. This is due to the particles in the substance moving faster or slower, causing them to take up more or less space.