Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which photon has the higher frequency?

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1
    Chemistry is not my strong subject...

A hydrogen atom undergoes a transition from the state n=3 to n=2 and then another transition from n=2 to n=1. Two photons are created due to these processes. Which photon has the higher frequency?

AND What is meant by 'n = #' ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check out this thread, keeping in mind that [tex]E=h\nu[/tex]. The principal quantum number, "n", is a property of a quantum mechanical state with certain energy. States with different "n" have different energies.

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3
    I didn't understand the discussion on that site very well. The course I'm in is a physics course and they threw in some chemistry, however, we don't have a textbook, so my resource is mainly the internet...

States with different 'n' values have different energies, but do the energies from n = 1, 2, 3 differ by a constant value [i.e. 1, 3, 5] or not?

5. Apr 6, 2005 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, the energy of a state is proportional to the square of the inverse of the principal quantum number, "n". So, if we choose units in which the energy of the n=1 state is -1 (the total energy of a bound state is always negative), then the n=2,3, and 4 states will have energies of -1/4, -1/9, and -1/16, respectively. An energy greater than 0 will mean that the electron is no longer bound to the nucleus.

6. Apr 6, 2005 #5
    ok got that...so then obviously an electron moving from energy state -1/9 to -1/4, it would give off more energy than one moving from -1/4 to -1, correct?

7. Apr 6, 2005 #6

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to try that subtraction again. :wink:

8. Apr 6, 2005 #7
    Well I can see what I did wrong but doesn't an electron moving to a state 'closer' to the nucleus give off energy?

9. Apr 6, 2005 #8

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If by "closer" you mean more tightly bound to the nucleus, then yes. The most tightly bound state is n=1.

10. Apr 6, 2005 #9
    Yes, what I mean is that the electrons are more tightly bound to the nucleus. So, how should I do my subtraction? I should do -1/4 - -1/9 ? <-- Negative number would be required for energy released... ?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  11. Apr 6, 2005 #10

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When it moves from state n=3 to n=2, does the electron's energy increase or decrease (based on what I already said)? If energy is conserved, what does this mean for the photon that's emitted?

12. Apr 6, 2005 #11
    When moving from state n = 3 to n = 2, the electron's energy decreases... it loses some of the energy to the escaping photon...that's what I'm understanding..

13. Apr 6, 2005 #12

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right. So, to conserve energy, the atom must emit a photon of light!

14. Apr 6, 2005 #13
    Exactly, soo, but then isn't my subtraction correct?

The only thing I'm seeing wrong with my subtraction is that for 'energy' I should have a negative answer...

15. Apr 6, 2005 #14

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In our units, the energy change from n=3 to n=2 is (-1/9)-(-1/4)=5/36. This is the energy that's released as light. It's the change in energy of the electron that's negative: (-1/4)-(-1/9)=-5/36.

16. Apr 6, 2005 #15
    Ahh, I see what you mean. E2 - E1 = energy released as light, while E1 - E2 = change in energy of the electron.

17. Apr 6, 2005 #16
    That would mean that more energy is released from n = 2 to n = 1, than is from n = 3 to n = 2, would it not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?