Which Scientist Am I? Exploring CS & Math for Grad School

• Thread starter Oryctolagus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's struggle to determine if they should go into math or computer science for their graduate studies. They enjoy programming, optimization, and algorithms, and are unsure if they should pursue a career as a mathematician specializing in computation or as a theoretical computer scientist. They are advised to consider taking logic and discrete math courses, as well as exploring the other courses offered in both fields, to determine which path aligns best with their interests and goals.
Oryctolagus
Which scientist am I!?

I've searched my tail off for someone with my problem to no avail, and, noticing this community seemed to be full of decent people with whom I could get along, decided to give it up and just ask. Please excuse the life story.

I attend a fairly lame public college that I would be embarrassed to say the name of that houses surprisingly high ranking departments in CS, Math, Business, and Nursing. I started in the Summer of 2011 (taking a precalc/trig mash-up course in preparation) and had fun with my CS major status for most of the Fall 2011 semester. That's when I discovered Alan Turing. His name was showing up everywhere, and my instructor only mentioned him in passing, so I decided to look him up. Then I read a book about "On Computable Numbers" and suddenly felt like an idiot. I didn't know what I wanted to do with myself, I was aiming to be a pencil pusher like my dad, just not in a cubicle. That's what I was going to school for. But now computer science looks like a science, and imagining myself following my great grandfather's footsteps (last Ph. D. in our family; research chemist for Corning) got me all giddy.

So one day I'm looking at the required classes for a CS degree in the bulletin and I start to see a pattern: Software engineering. Databases? Operating Systems? Computers in Freakin Society? Where's the science in that? Where's the meat? So I looked into a second degree in math, but if I'm going to grad school why the hell would I want to spend more than 4 years getting my BS? In the end I ran into the breakdown of the Math major in the bulletin and, wondering how I missed it all this time, found that it has room for 31 (thirty-one, (10)(3) + 1) hours of chosen electives. Turns out that's enough to take all the computer science classes I want without having to take any extra hours. So now I'm a math major, and I had a helluva time explaining to my dad about how I'm going to make money with it.

So I slapped together a 4 year plan to go with it including every class with the word "algorithm", "discrete", or "computing" in it, to be sure. I'm really, really excited about knowing the grassroots of computation, and being able to solve problems. It seems like I'm leaning towards algorithms, as I enjoy pseudo programming (which hasn't been covered) better than Python (bleh). My passion is learning, and, knowing that an academic life circulates around that pursuit, I will work my *** off to put my self in a position of perpetual learning.

My question to you, should you choose to accept it, is that of what I am. I enjoy programming, and I love optimization, and algorithms, and doing huge math problems. Am I aspiring to be a mathematician whose life's work is in computation, or a theoretical computer scientist? I don't know whether to shop for cs or math grad schools.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you're going into math, then you should go into logic. Logic deals with the things you want: computability, recursion, etc. Try to take as many logic classes as you can. The first logic class should be fairly boring: truth tables, etc. But the subsequent classes should be a lot better.

Discrete math would also be an option.

You can either go for theoretical computer science or mathematician. Both fields are able to do good research. Maybe you should also look at the other courses?? Pure athematicians will also take abstract algebra and real analysis, etc. Applied mathematicians do things like numerical analysis, statistics, etc. Computer Scientists also take programming or AI,...
So look at the other courses and see what you like most. Either three fields are good for ending up in what you want.

1. What is "Which Scientist Am I? Exploring CS & Math for Grad School"?

"Which Scientist Am I? Exploring CS & Math for Grad School" is a workshop designed to help students interested in pursuing graduate studies in computer science and mathematics to explore their interests and potential career paths. It aims to provide students with a better understanding of the various fields within these disciplines and to help them identify their strengths and interests.

2. Who can benefit from attending this workshop?

This workshop is primarily aimed at undergraduate students who are considering pursuing graduate studies in computer science and mathematics. However, it can also be beneficial for students in high school or graduate students who are still exploring their options or looking for guidance in their career paths.

3. What can I expect to learn from this workshop?

By attending this workshop, you can expect to gain a better understanding of the different areas within computer science and mathematics, including research topics and potential career paths. You will also have the opportunity to learn from and network with experienced professionals and current graduate students in these fields.

4. Is this workshop only for students interested in pursuing a career in academia?

No, this workshop is designed for students interested in both academic and industry careers in computer science and mathematics. The workshop will cover a wide range of topics and provide students with insights into both academic and industry opportunities.

5. How can I apply for this workshop?

The application process for this workshop will vary depending on the specific institution or organization hosting it. However, most workshops will require students to submit an application form, a resume or CV, and possibly a statement of purpose. It is recommended to check the specific application requirements and deadlines for the workshop you are interested in attending.