Which STEM Jobs are Underrated and Underappreciated?

• Other
  • Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stem
In summary: This might include adding dyes, pigment, or colorants to a product, or adjusting the color of a product after it has been made. A colorist is someone who specializes in the science and art of color. They might have a degree in color science, or they might have experience working with color in the graphic design or publishing industries.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! We have seen numerous threads (including a few that I've started) which involves demand for various STEM jobs.

I thought I would pose a different question. Which STEM jobs or careers do you feel are underrated, in the sense that few people know about them or are aware of the options? Or in the sense that there is not much excitement about entering the field, even though it may be challenging, well-paid, and in demand?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide on this regard.

Physics news on Phys.org
StatGuy2000 said:
Which STEM jobs or careers do you feel are underrated, in the sense that few people know about them or are aware of the options? Or in the sense that there is not much excitement about entering the field, even though it may be challenging, well-paid, and in demand?

STEM teaching, at all levels, i.e. both full time teaching in high school and college as well as part-time teaching in a research position.

(I am not a teacher, but I do believe that the above is true, at least in some Western countries.)

Likes DEvens, haushofer, pinball1970 and 1 other person
I was just discussing with someone about Electronics Packaging and they thought I was talking about the package that people unwrap or a box that they open, but I meant for the actual chips. It has a large impact on the performance of the chips and requires a bit of electronics and mechanical background. I'm an RF engineer, and so it's extra interesting to me because different materials and the geometry of transmission lines matter a lot (will change the characteristic impedance or can be too lossy).

The other one I was looking around for and struggled to find in my undergraduate courses was Instrumentation Engineering. I could find and took my controls classes, but I'm talking about high precision instruments. How does an engineer measure a few femtofarads of capacitance or determine that atoms or within a few angstroms apart from each other? My first internship was in nanotechnology, which sounds really cool (and it is), but I was baffled by the high by how much researcher trusted and relied on the instruments... some gave me the impression they didn't quite understand what was going inside of the box... may have been eager to publish incredible results.

Likes StatGuy2000
In most places, teaching does not meet the well-paid criterion, but I consider it to be an underrated STEM job.

STEM talent is in high demand in most districts and at most schools. But in most places, the salary scales are set by degree level and experience and not the relative supply and demand for STEM qualified teachers relative to physical education and history teachers. Teachers and administrators with experience in non-STEM disciplines work hard to prevent STEM teachers from being paid more. So, if one is willing to work for what they pay, finding teaching work is not hard for STEM talent, since most STEM talent is making more doing other things.

Likes DEvens
Dr. Courtney said:
But in most places, the salary scales are set by degree level and experience and not the relative supply and demand for STEM qualified teachers relative to physical education and history teachers.
Amen. This from someone who taught in the K-12 system for a couple of years, and at college level for 25+ years.
Dr. Courtney said:
Teachers and administrators with experience in non-STEM disciplines work hard to prevent STEM teachers from being paid more.
Same is especially true for the US teachers' unions, most prominently NEA and AFT.

Likes chemisttree and Dr Transport
Colourist

Likes symbolipoint
pinball1970 said:
Colourist
Two more suggestions which people might not too quickly consider:
Flavorist
and
Perfumer

symbolipoint said:
Two more suggestions which people might not too quickly consider:
Flavorist
and
Perfumer

To @symbolipoint and @pinball1970 , what exactly is a "colourist"? This is the first time I have ever heard of this term.

Same question for "flavourist" or "perfumer" -- I have never heard of these terms.

Likes pinball1970
StatGuy2000 wants to understand:

Same question for "flavourist" or "perfumer" -- I have never heard of these terms.

Someone whose work is to find or match odors, especially attractive oders or pleasant oders for consumer products (household cleaners, detergents, cosmetics, other personal care products) is a perfumer. This person will usually have a biological science or chemistry degree, or possibly a food science degree. Usually, a company who hires a perfumer is either a large company (who might afford to keep a perfumer on staff) ; OR more obviously a fragrance company which would be in the business of creating the fragrance products which will later become ingredients for the cleaners & personal care products.

Likes StatGuy2000 and pinball1970
Although not a BS degree, ultra-sound technicians/technologists are in high demand

StatGuy2000 said:
To @symbolipoint and @pinball1970 , what exactly is a "colourist"? This is the first time I have ever heard of this term.

In my industry which is textiles and paper to a lesser extent, a colourist can provide formulation for required shades for production.
Evaluate shades visually and via measurement using a spectro.
It's a broad term and a knowledge of dyes and auxillary chemicals is also required.
In cinema (they always have a colourist in the closing titles) it would involve colouring the film. What you end up seeing.
A good example is Saving Private Ryan, the colours are subdued and appear greyed off.
To give that 1940s feel from news reel, those that did have colour from that time.
It's interesting as it involves a bit of everything, biology, colour physics and chemistry.
Perhaps a bit of an eye for art too, we have to mix and communicate with designers.

• Informative
Likes StatGuy2000 and symbolipoint
There are unions for teachers, so they basically get paid more for complaining, but most get a pretty descent check, considering the amount of vacation they get, if they are full time and not assistants. I'm making 75k with a master's in physics as a consultant in the DC metro area. A high school teacher might make around 65k. I'm not exactly sure, but that seems about right. Even if it's 50k, that's not bad considering the amount of vacation days they get. Plus, they will probably work less hours than I do.

You can also work in management consulting with a STEM degree.

Zap said:
Plus, they will probably work less hours than I do.
I really, really doubt that. And the vacations are meaningless. On the other hand, some science or physics teachers may be more fortunate (or lucky). Teachers have more work-time and busy-time than just during "class-time".

symbolipoint said:
Teachers have more work-time and busy-time than just during "class-time".
I'm aware of that.
I have a friend who is a math teacher.
I wouldn't say that he is working crazy hours. He also gets to enjoy his vacations.
It's also super easy to take a break from teaching, if you want, and then find work in it again.
I think there are a lot of positives to being a teacher that are worth mentioning.

(1) definitely the vacation time.

(2) Another is the flexibility you have. You can get a job teaching pretty much anywhere and there is a steady demand for teachers in the STEM fields. It won't be hard to find a job, and it won't be hard to move and find another job, if you have to or want to.

(3a) Pay is descent. I wouldn't say it's good, but I wouldn't say it's that bad, either. According to indeed, where I am, a teacher can potentially make a six figure salary, probably depending on experience and education level. Even in DC, that's pretty damn good and significantly more than what I'm making right now.

(3b) Honestly, if you compare the starting salary for a high school teacher, which is usually around 40 to 50k, with any other job, it's not significantly different. Am I wrong here??

(4) You will have opportunities to go abroad and apply to internships and other jobs that target educators in STEM fields

(4) Student loan forgiveness

(5) There are probably more but I don't want to spend too much time on here lol

So I'll admit I've never actually been a high school teacher, but I had looked into it and was actively looking for a teaching job not too long ago.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
And the vacations are meaningless.
Not necessarily. Many teachers get three months off in summer, plus a couple of weeks around Christmas, and a week or so for spring break, as well as all federal holidays, some of which folks in the private sector don't get.

1. What are some examples of underrated STEM jobs/careers?

Some examples of underrated STEM jobs/careers include data scientist, UX designer, environmental engineer, biostatistician, and cybersecurity analyst.

2. Why are these STEM jobs/careers considered underrated?

These STEM jobs/careers are considered underrated because they are not as well-known or talked about compared to more traditional STEM careers like doctors, engineers, or computer scientists. They may also not be as high-paying or glamorous, but they are still important and in-demand roles in the STEM field.

3. What skills are needed for underrated STEM jobs/careers?

The specific skills needed for underrated STEM jobs/careers will vary depending on the job, but some common skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, communication, and technical proficiency in relevant software or tools.

4. How can I break into an underrated STEM job/career?

To break into an underrated STEM job/career, it is important to have relevant education and experience. This can include obtaining a degree in a related field, completing internships or projects, and networking with professionals in the industry. It may also be helpful to showcase your skills through a strong resume or portfolio.

5. What are the future prospects for underrated STEM jobs/careers?

The future prospects for underrated STEM jobs/careers are generally positive, as many industries are increasingly relying on technology and data-driven decision making. These roles are expected to continue growing and evolving, providing ample job opportunities and potential for career advancement.