1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Surface Roughness value to use for pipe flow friction factor

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    I am trying to predict pressure drop in a pipeline with a range of different materials.

I have used a surface profilometer to measure the surface roughness of the different materials and I have values for various surface roughness variables - Ra Rz Rmax Rq Rm S Sm R3z Wt and a range of other variables.

The calculations I am using are based on using an "Absolute Roughness" (units mm) and the pipe diameter (units mm) to calculate a "Relative Roughness" and then from this calculate the Moody Friction Factor and head loss.

My issue is I have no idea which surface roughness value corresponds to the "Absolute Roughness" as used by the Moody Chart.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look up the Colebrook equation, which will relate friction factor to roughness. I would suggest using Rq, which is the RMS roughness.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3
    I believe Rz is the closest modern descriptor. There's some interesting discussion in this recent paper: http://www.rit.edu/~w-taleme/Papers/Conference Papers/C084.pdf

Moody's data was based on work by Nikuradse, who laquered sand-grains to the inside of pipes. Rz is the average peak-to-peak roughness and seems to be the closest descriptor. The mathematical average roughness, Ra, will usually be way too low (close to a factor of 4).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook