Which symmetry follows Ward-Takahashi identity?

In summary, the Ward-Takahashi identity is validated by the renormalization of a theory, and in QED, it is validated by electric charge renormalization. This identity implies current conservation and is a result of a symmetry, specifically the U(1) gauge symmetry of electric charge. Noether's theorem states that a classical symmetry corresponds to a classical current conservation, but its relation to a quantum current is still unclear. The Ward-Takahashi identity imposes symmetry on quantum mechanical amplitudes, not on the Lagrangian of the theory. It is a representation of electric current conservation in the quantum regime, which is a result of the U(1) symmetry in QED. The Ward-Takahashi identity follows from
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
It seem to me the Ward-Takahashi is validated by the renormalization, if the theory can not be renormalized the proof of Ward identity is failed.In QED the Ward identity is validated by electrical charge renormalization.
The Ward-Takahashi implies a current conservation,then it is the result of a symmetry.But I do not know which symmetry it is. E.g in QED which symmetry the Ward-Takahashi implies?
Thank you very much in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
ndung200790 said:
E.g in QED which symmetry the Ward-Takahashi implies?
Thank you very much in advanced.
The U(1) gauge symmetry of electric charge.

Why we know that current of conservation is a electrical current?

Thank Dr Du very much! Now I understand that U(1) symmetry leads to Ward identity in QED.

sorry I've got no idea.

Sorry, maybe I don't understand what you mean. I know the WT identities as a clever trick to use current conservation to derive some set of diagrams which fulfill the corresponding gauge symmetry. But the relation between the current conservation and the symmetry follows from Noethers theorem.

The Noether theorem says that a symmetry corresponds with a classical current conservation.But what it says about a corresponding quantum current?

In QFT book of Peskin&Schroder at 7.4 section saying Ward Identity is the diagrammatic expression of the conservation of the electric current...Ward Identity imposes the symmetry of quantum mechanical amplitudes. But I do not understand why the current is the electric current(we are considering QED) and I think the symmetry corresponding with Ward Identity(with the corresponding current) is some symmetry of Lagrangian of the theory but not of the diagrams

Sorry ''Ward Identity imposes the symmetry of quantum mechanical amplitudes'' is not correct.It is ''Ward Identity imposes the symmetry on quantum mechanical amplitude'', so it is OK.Please forgive my mistake.My English is still week,I am Vietnamese.

At the moment,I think the symmetry for a current conservation neednot a symmetry of the Lagrangian of the theory,but it may be symmetry of the diagrams.Because Noether theorem neednot only be applyed for Lagrangian of the theory.

In QFT book of Schroder&Peskin at chapter 9.6,now I understand that by Schwinger-Dison eqn,the conservation current equation(considering in quantum regime) and the equation of motion(quantum regime)are ultimately related:all eqns of current conservation fulfil the equation of motion.The Ward-Takahashi is only the quantum conclusions of Noether theorem applying on Lagrangian.So the Ward-Takahashi in QED is a representation of electric current conservation(quantum regime) which is a result of U(1) symmetry.
Please teach me whether my thinking is correct?

I have got the following question, in the first place: Does Ward-Takahashi identity follow from local or global gauge invariance?

Thanks!

electrodynamics results from local gauge invariance.(yang-mills)

1. What is the Ward-Takahashi identity?

The Ward-Takahashi identity is a fundamental relationship in quantum field theory that describes the behavior of particles and their interactions. It is a type of symmetry that relates the behavior of a system under transformations of its internal symmetries.

2. How is the Ward-Takahashi identity related to symmetry?

The Ward-Takahashi identity is related to symmetry because it describes how a system behaves under transformations of its internal symmetries. This means that the system remains unchanged even when its internal symmetries are altered, which is a key aspect of symmetry.

3. What is the significance of the Ward-Takahashi identity in physics?

The Ward-Takahashi identity is significant in physics because it is a crucial tool for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. It helps to explain the symmetries and patterns observed in nature, and is a key component of many theories in particle physics, such as quantum electrodynamics.

4. Can the Ward-Takahashi identity be applied to all physical systems?

While the Ward-Takahashi identity is a fundamental principle in quantum field theory, it may not apply to all physical systems. It is most commonly used in particle physics, and its applicability to other systems is an ongoing area of research.

5. How is the Ward-Takahashi identity related to the conservation of energy and momentum?

The Ward-Takahashi identity is related to the conservation of energy and momentum because it is a consequence of the symmetry of these physical quantities. The identity ensures that the equations of motion for particles remain consistent even when their internal symmetries are altered, thus preserving the conservation laws of energy and momentum.