Choosing the Right Wire for an Impulse Voltage Generator

• Thread starter corruptdna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type Wire
In summary, the speaker is building an impulse voltage generator using a transformer and rectifier for a final year project in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. They have asked for advice on what type of wire to use to connect the resistors to a metal pipe with a cap. A suggestion has been made to use 12g hookup wire or speaker wire, but the speaker should discuss this with their supervisor rather than an online forum. The thread has been locked for safety reasons.
corruptdna
Hi guys :)

I just wanted to ask you guys something. I am building a impulse voltage generator and it will be powered using a transformer and a rectifier that can handle up to 140kV. I just wanted to ask you guys, my job is to build a 1.25nF capacitor, one 180 ohm resistor, one 2667 ohm resistor and a spark gap. Ill upload the circuit to the thread. I wanted to ask you guys, what kind of wire can i use to connect the resistors to a pipe with a metal cap that will be used in the circuit?. Ill upload some pictures so you guys have a better idea. I believe the current will be 50mA. This project will be my final year project to complete my Electrical and Electronic Engineering bachelors :) I will not be doing any tests without my supervisor so do not worry.

Attachments

• general circuit 1.png
    general circuit 1.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 475
  • 20160928_120551.jpg
    20160928_120551.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 416
Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

According to that table, you are good down to 24g. If it were me, I'd buy some 12g hookup wire or speaker wire (stranded vs solid won't matter) and use that.

corruptdna said:
I am building a impulse voltage generator and it will be powered using a transformer and a rectifier that can handle up to 140kV.

wire size won't be the issue ... insulation will be

corruptdna said:
This project will be my final year project to complete my Electrical and Electronic Engineering bachelors :) I will not be doing any tests without my supervisor so do not worry.

This is something you should bring up with them, not bring up to an online forum.

Thread locked for safety reasons.

Likes davenn and berkeman

1. What is the difference between solid and stranded wire?

Solid wire is made of a single piece of metal and is typically used for permanent installations. Stranded wire is made of multiple smaller strands of wire twisted together and is more flexible, making it suitable for applications that require movement or bending.

2. How do I choose the right gauge for my wire?

The gauge of a wire refers to its thickness, with smaller numbers indicating a thicker wire. The right gauge will depend on the amount of current the wire needs to carry. Generally, larger gauge wire is used for higher current applications.

3. Can I use any type of wire for my project?

No, it is important to use the appropriate type of wire for your specific project. Factors to consider include the type of current (AC or DC), voltage, and environmental conditions. Using the wrong type of wire can result in inefficiency, safety hazards, and damage to your equipment.

4. What are the benefits of using copper wire over other materials?

Copper wire is a popular choice for its high conductivity, durability, and resistance to corrosion. It is also relatively inexpensive and readily available. Other materials, such as aluminum, may have different properties and may be better suited for certain applications.

5. Do I need to use different types of wire for different parts of my circuit?

It is recommended to use different types of wire for different parts of a circuit, depending on their specific functions. For example, thicker wires may be used for high current-carrying components, while thinner wires may be used for low current components. This helps to ensure proper functioning and safety of the circuit.