• Start date

siddharth

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Smurf said:
Not a fan of twists?
Not this one.
My favorite character as well. :cry:
And what about the identity of the Half-Blood Prince? That was another twist few could have expected!

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
:rofl: It was probably for their own protection. Nobody wants to hear from someone else what's in the book anyway! If anyone spoils the story for me before I read it, they should get the death penalty! :devil:
Let me take a wild guess. Harry and his pals will be called to adventure. They'll be reluctant at first, but eventually take up the call, pass through some trials, perform supernatural feats, and triumph in the end. Along the way, Harry will learn about himself, develop new abilities or hone existing ones that he didn't realize he was so proficient in. There will be a surprise or two (most likely a central character turning out to be something other than what was first thought). All character and creature types will be borrowed from Tolkein and the plot will be borrowed from Joseph Campbell. Did that ruin it for you? It shouldn't, because every other Harry Potter book followed the exact same formula.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
loseyourname said:
Let me take a wild guess. Harry and his pals will be called to adventure. They'll be reluctant at first, but eventually take up the call, pass through some trials, perform supernatural feats, and triumph in the end. Along the way, Harry will learn about himself, develop new abilities or hone existing ones that he didn't realize he was so proficient in. There will be a surprise or two (most likely a central character turning out to be something other than what was first thought). All character and creature types will be borrowed from Tolkein and the plot will be borrowed from Joseph Campbell. Did that ruin it for you? It shouldn't, because every other Harry Potter book followed the exact same formula.
Stop it, stop it!!! La la la la la la la la...*sticks fingers in ears*...I'm not listening!!! :rofl:

Okay, I'm laughing my butt off here watching all the kids lined up in costume for a book, and they're all the little geeky kids. Kid's nowadays! At least in my day, kids only dressed up in costume to wait in line to see movies. :rofl: Harry Potter will take the place of Star Wars for this next generation of geeks. :approve:

Take note I'm not quite as crazy as the rest of the folks around here. I pre-ordered online and can contentedly sit here waiting for my shipment. I'm not one of those nuts who pre-ordered at bookstores and spent the wee hours of the morning standing in a line with a number waiting to be called to get their book. What kind of parent lets their kid do that anyway? You show up at midnight and then stand in line until whenever they call your number? Okay, that's nuts...surely the book could have waited at least until morning.

I'm just happy because I have flights with long connections coming up, and a Harry Potter book is perfect for reading in airports.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well, I am looking forward to reading the next book, although I wouldn't say I am 'excited'. Probably pick up a copy today.

IMO, the "Goblet of Fire" was probably the best, followed by "Prisoner of Azkaban".

Yes, the stories are remeniscent of the 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Star Wars' - good vs evil, the dark side vs the (positive) force. Nevertheless, the Harry Potter series is appealing - well at least to me anyway. :biggrin:

good vs. evil is a parallel used in, like, everything.. :smile:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Knavish said:
good vs. evil is a parallel used in, like, everything.. :smile:
Yeah - as loseyourname pointed out, Joseph Campbell has mentioned that. Temporally transcendent themes.

It all comes down to a matter of choice. One can choose to be good - or otherwise.

dduardo

Staff Emeritus
*********Spoiler**********

The new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor is: Horace Slughorn

*********Spoiler**********

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last night there was a news story about this. It was mentioned that the author has probably inspired more children to read than anyone in history.

Ivan Seeking said:
Last night there was a news story about this. It was mentioned that the author has probably inspired more children to read than anyone in history.
I would agree with that...I might even go so far as to say it for adults as well.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, that's one thing I think is wonderful about these books, something that inspires so many children (and adults) to read can't be bad! And these are some hefty books for children! I think back to the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mystery series that were so popular when I was young; it's the same sort of popularity where everyone is reading them, so it makes it more fun because the kids can all talk about the books too.

By the way, mine did show up with today's mail. :biggrin: Actually, that might not be a good thing. Now I'll be tempted to start reading as soon as all my household chores are done today (I'm really avoiding cracking it open until then, or else nothing will get done), and I won't have it to read on my flights to Canada! :grumpy: Darn, that means I'll be doing work on the plane, no good excuses not to do it. :tongue:

Well, I better get back to my chores, I have a book waiting for when I'm done. :tongue2: :biggrin: :smile:

(I should just note that I actually wasn't really jumping up and down with excitement when I saw it appear with the mail, just tempted to do so. I have certainly been looking forward to it since reading all the other books this winter, but haven't exactly been counting days until its arrival or anything quite that crazy).

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Townsend said:
I would agree with that...I might even go so far as to say it for adults as well.
No kidding. When I travelled alot for work, I ran across a number of people reading HP that would otherwise never read for pleasure.

I wonder if this is so incredibly popular in part due to a need for fantasy in an increasingly objective world. I'm sure that the books are good but there must be more to it than that. Timing is often a critical factor with phenomena like HP.

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We recieved our copy from Amozon today. Looks like it was being held for delivery until after the 15th. Moonbear, I am guessing you got yours also.

Now as soon as our daughter gets finished with it, I will get it started. Should be a quick read.

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I think you're right, Ivan. I'm gonna have to write some fantasy novels. Same thing with Star Wars. Modern-day people are enamored of any story about using non-material 'forces' to transcend and defeat the dehumanizing machine - symbolized perfectly by Darth Vader returning to the light side, only to see his cyborg body die and be resurrected as a force ghost. I've never actually read a Harry Potter book. It might be time to see what all the fuss is about.

loseyourname said:
I've never actually read a Harry Potter book. It might be time to see what all the fuss is about.
You need to read the books...really. You will enjoy them, I promise you that. I hope you didn't watch any of the movies yet, it might lessen the value of the book.

Last edited:
Why did my favourite character have to die? :(

I can't read the next book without him, the whole series is just bs without his clever remarks and antics. The middle was too much like a romance novel, but other than that, I have no complaints other than why did he have to die?

JamesU

Gold Member
oh! I got my copy at fry's for 40% off! they had about a million copies, just stacked there! and I didn't have to pay ship[ping fees like YOU people!!

yomamma said:
oh! I got my copy at fry's for 40% off! they had about a million copies, just stacked there! and I didn't have to pay ship[ping fees like YOU people!!
I had free shipping and 25% off, so you saved a few buck....I am still happy.

23.60 CDN just checked the bill...chapters cheaper than amazon which is weird
apparently some places were going for 15CDN which i find odd but itw as on the news.

Lets see i woke up at 7am to open my door and FFS it wasn't there...opened the door on every our...went to chapters to read it...cuz i've come accrossed to many spoilers. came home and it finally came around 4pm...stupid CANADA post delivery...i'm on page 500 and have to wait till someone else finishes reading it ARG!...i may be a little obsessed but i am also with alife/ai/cogsci/math/phys...
plus I can't stomach the LOTR world and teh language in which its written...and people whoh say things are ripped from LOTR...do they read teh greek books?

Townsend said:
You need to read the books...really. You will enjoy them, I promise you that. I hope you didn't watch any of the movies yet, it might lessen the value of the book.
he had to die as part of a publicity stunt to get more sales for the book of course

ok, i went to a book party with my campers the night it came out. and yes we dressed up, and if we're lucky, i'll get a hold of some pictures of me in my hot witches robes and hat!

anyways, i already finished the book as well. yesterday i finished i guess. and ya... i'm sorta unsure about the next book. i know Rowling was saying some things about a possible 8th book? but eh... especially because of what harry said about school next year... i don't know if the last book will... if dunno... feel right or something... eh.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
loseyourname said:
Same thing with Star Wars. Modern-day people are enamored of any story about using non-material 'forces' to transcend and defeat the dehumanizing machine - symbolized perfectly by Darth Vader returning to the light side, only to see his cyborg body die and be resurrected as a force ghost. I've never actually read a Harry Potter book. It might be time to see what all the fuss is about.
Hmmmm, that's an interesting point. Star Wars is a fantasy story of good and evil, right down to the black and white. I always thought of it as sci-fi, but it is in fact fantasy - a distinction that I am usually careful to make. Perhaps this is a matter of a need for a certain density of well told fairy tales with each new generation. The space theme has pretty much run itself out, so something new was needed? So back to Bewitched and Willly Wonka we go?