Who is the 17-year-old singing Imagine on American Idol that almost made me cry?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, American Idol is a show that features amateur singers who compete for the chance to be selected as "the one to beat." The show is hosted by Simon Cowell, who has reportedly found talent among the contestants in the past.
tribdog
I don't know this kid's name, but last night on American Idol I heard the most amazing version of "Imagine" I've ever heard. This little kid is only 17 years old and he almost made me cry last night.

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
I don't know this kid's name, but last night on American Idol I heard the most amazing version of "Imagine" I've ever heard. This little kid is only 17 years old and he almost made me cry last night.

David Archuleta. He was amazing! He did make me cry.
Here is a link to his http://www.americanidol.com/videos/?vid=966&pcs=499"

Last edited by a moderator:
I work with a bunch of guys who don't watch american idol and I think they think I'm a wuss for bringing it up, but I couldn't stop thinking about that performance. It really blew me away.
Simon Cowell's found a few other people that had that effect on me. check out a couple of people from Britain's Got Talent. Paul Potts and Connie Talbot. They were awesome too.

tribdog said:
I work with a bunch of guys who don't watch american idol and I think they think I'm a wuss for bringing it up, but I couldn't stop thinking about that performance. It really blew me away.
Simon Cowell's found a few other people that had that effect on me. check out a couple of people from Britain's Got Talent. Paul Potts and Connie Talbot. They were awesome too.
The first few years American Idol was on I wouldn't watch it thinking it just a fad. The first year I watched was season 3 and I now am hooked. Everyone I work with watches it and that is what we talk about first thing the next morning.

Yeah, that was a great performance. He even added his own style to the song and it worked. He has talent, but I can't say it made me cry.

I don't watch the first half of the season of American Idol anymore because some of those performances make me cry. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x209ez_william-hung-she-bangs-american-ido_fun" that I'm sure many people are already familiar with. Some are much much worse than this. It's heartbreaking.

larkspur said:
David Archuleta. He was amazing! He did make me cry.
Here is a link to his http://www.americanidol.com/videos/?vid=966&pcs=499"

What a POS website. It just says "Loading" and nothing happens.

Great link trib, it works.

Don't like that song at all, so it's hard to really get into it.

I love that young man! I want to adopt him and make him my own..

Where is he from? I didn't see it (don't watch AI) but it sounds good. John Lennon is one of my heros/idols. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo that is a half and half of his and Kurt Cobain's faces.

binzing said:
Where is he from? I didn't see it (don't watch AI) but it sounds good. John Lennon is one of my heros/idols. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo that is a half and half of his and Kurt Cobain's faces.

Actually didn't Kurt Cobain only have half a face? Eventually.

Last edited:
He was only found with a small amount of blood coming out of his ear, and was believed to be sleeping at first glance, so no, he never had half a face.

This kid is so heavily over-emoting "Imagine" that I find it sickening. Sorry, fans. I have played and sung music for decades (and have been paid for doing so) and this kid wouldn't have earned more than a a cursory set at the blues/rock jams that I've hosted, nor would I have entertained incorporating him into any band. This is really BAD.

What is Idol about anyway? Collecting a bunch of wannabe's and eventually selecting the candidate that appears to suck less than the others?

The only semi-talent to have come from AI is Chris Daughtry (IMO)

Ugh...I don't like his performance at all! If he's "the one to beat" then the rest of the competition must be absolutely dreadful. His range seems limited (seemed to flatten out some parts of the song rather than reach for the notes that would have made it interesting to listen to), his voice is overly breathy, and why can't he pronounce any Ds or Ls at the end of words? He dropped every one of them it seemed, like he has some sort of speech impediment...really annoying trait for a singer. If he keeps taking voice lessons, he might have some potential, but he's really not at a professional level at all right now.

For the most part all of the participants are amateurs. They may have been paid to sing at some point, such as in a small band etc. Yet the rules of the show do not allow anyone who has ever signed and performed under a contract to enter the competition.

I like it because it is one of the few programs left on prime time television that is truly suitable for the entire family.

The average viewing audience is about 30,000,000

edward said:
For the most part all of the participants are amateurs.
Still, they're competing for a record contract, aren't they? So, they need to compete at a professional level, and not like a bunch of kids who couldn't even win a high school variety show competition.

They may have been paid to sing at some point, such as in a small band etc. Yet the rules of the show do not allow anyone who has ever signed and performed under a contract to enter the competition.
I think there was some rumors recently that they weren't actually all amateurs. But, I don't remember where I heard them. Maybe contestants were kicked out or something...this isn't high on my list of things to pay close attention to, just recall hearing some glimpse of something probably while flipping channels.

I like it because it is one of the few programs left on prime time television that is truly suitable for the entire family.
On that account, I agree. It's unfortunate, but I guess no worse than The Gong Show or Star Search when I was a kid/teen.

You people are nuts. That is an amazing performance. Keep listening to it, it gets better after about the thirtieth or fortieth time. You people have no souls

I'm so with you on that one tribdog! I have played and sung for many years too, but there is a giant difference when you do it in front of a camera, and a group of people who are very critical of you.

tribdog said:
You people are nuts. That is an amazing performance. Keep listening to it, it gets better after about the thirtieth or fortieth time.
Will it get better faster if I have a beer each time I listen to it? I also agree with Turbo that he made it overly melodramatic...I don't even think the guy "gets" the point of the song. He's so focused on a technical performance and is missing feeling what the song is really about...he makes it sound sad, and it's supposed to be hopeful.

You people have no souls

Well, that was a given. :wink: I don't think John Lennon worried about having one either, given the lyrics of the song. :biggrin:

I have never, ever been able to watch American Idol. I would rather gouge out my eyes than listen to pop music.

Related to Who is the 17-year-old singing Imagine on American Idol that almost made me cry?

1. Who is the 17-year-old singing Imagine on American Idol?

The 17-year-old singing Imagine on American Idol is a contestant named Francisco Martin. He is from San Francisco, California and has been impressing the judges and audiences with his powerful performances.

2. What is the song Imagine that Francisco Martin sang on American Idol?

The song Imagine is a classic hit by John Lennon. It was originally released in 1971 and has become a timeless anthem for peace and unity.

3. Why did Francisco Martin's performance of Imagine almost make me cry?

Francisco Martin's performance of Imagine was emotional and heartfelt, with his smooth and soulful voice delivering the powerful lyrics of the song. It is a song that resonates with many people and can evoke strong emotions.

4. How did Francisco Martin do on American Idol?

Francisco Martin has been receiving high praise from the judges and has advanced to the top 7 in the competition. He has consistently impressed with his unique voice and emotional performances.

5. Is Francisco Martin the youngest contestant on American Idol?

No, Francisco Martin is not the youngest contestant on American Idol. He is 17 years old, but there have been younger contestants on the show in previous seasons. However, Francisco's talent and maturity beyond his years have made him a standout on the show.