Who likes integrals? e^(trig function)

In summary, the student is stuck trying to solve a problem in stats involving a probability density. They are able to find the probability density using a Dirac-delta function and are able to calculate Q(\vec{k}), but are struggling to find the limits and get stuck when trying to solve for rho and theta.
buttersrocks

Homework Statement

I'm working on a physics problem and I'm winding up with the following integral. Anyone have any clues? Contour?

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} e^{i k cos\left(\theta + k_\theta\right)} d\theta [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried subbing in a bunch of u's and whatever else. I'm just plain stuck. I've been trying to get it in terms of something I can just look up in a table, but I can't. Can anyone give me a direction? I don't know whether this is a contour integral or what, but I'm fairly certain it is. If it is, it's been awhile since I've done any complex stuff and I don't have a book with me to help. So, if that's the case I'll just bail on the problem. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I doubt this is going to be much help but according to my maths program it's insoluble in elementary functions in a general integral and it pops out -infinities as the answer to the definite integral in the range of 0pi and 2pi, and given theta=0pi,1pi...2pi. given anything more of a range or negative thetas or both, just increases the number of series of -infinities. If it is soluble my maths program isn't powerful enough to do it, unless your happy with the answer -infinity of course. :smile:

This is in need of renormalisation as

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}e^{ik\cos({\theta}+k_\theta})\;d\theta=-\infty [/tex]does not converge I think or converges to -infinity :). Or if it does converge my maths program is broken.

Hehe do you add a constant to infinity, doesn't seem much point. :biggrin: since it's still infinity.Anyone else got any thoughts? Is my maths program screwed again. :smile:

Have you tried converting it to Cartesian co-ordinates, instead of polars, or is that a stupid suggestion, probably pointless? Is there any solution in Cartesians, if not I doubt there's any solution in reality either.

Sorry I can't delete the above post so I'll have to double post.

I'm also assuming k is a constant.

Last edited:
Yep, k is constant. Well, it does take the form of a delta function, so I'm thinking it may just be 1 when Theta plus ktheta is pi/2,3pi/2, but I'm not sure. Actually, this problem was in cartesian coordinates, but it suggested to convert to spherical before integrating, haha. So, that much is a no go.

If the limits are really 0 to 2pi, then it's not a delta function and it's not -infinity. It's a complex number depending on k and k_theta. E.g. if k=0 then it's value is 2pi. I don't think you are going to find an elementary expression for it's value. Are you sure you changed coordinates correctly?

Yep, I'm certain about the change of coordinates. If it's a complex number, that's probably fine, especially if it depends on k and k_theta, that makes perfect sense, because later I have to integrate this with respect to k both k and k_theta. Would I be doing a contour integral or something to get the result that you got?

Thanks.

P.S. I realize that to evaluate the k=0 case you are just integrating 1.

I really didn't get much, I just set k=0 so the integrand is 1. That was just a 'for instance'. I don't know how to do any other value exactly. I do know it's not divergent or a delta function, just because it's the integral of a continuous function over a closed interval. Contours won't help. If you really needed to you could integrate it numerically, but I suspect something else has gone wrong if this is just an exercise. What is the original problem?

I've been working on my stats, going through some problems wherever I can find them. I ran into this in Reif 1.29.

Problem statement:
(a) Using an appropriate Dirac-delta function, find the probability density w(s) for displacements of uniform length l, but in any random direction of three-dimensional space. (Hint: Remember that the function w(s) must be such that [tex]\int\int\int w(\vec{s})d\vec{s}=1[/tex] when integrated over all space.)

For this part I got [tex]w(\vec{s})=\frac{\delta\left(\rho - l)}{4\pi l^2}[/tex]. This made sense to me, since (1) it integrated to 1 over all space and, (2) it seemed to me that the probability should be uniform over a sphere of radius l. rho is the radius in spherical coordinates.

(b) Use the result of part (a) to calculate [tex]Q(\vec{k})[/tex]. (Perform the integral in spherical coordinates.)

This is where I'm winding up stuck.

[tex]Q(\vec{k})=\int w(\vec{s}) e^{i\vec{k}\bullet \vec{s}} d^3\vec{s} [/tex]
You can see that due to the dot product and spherical coordinates, I'm getting trig functions in the exponential. Obviously rho is easy to handle, but once I get to theta and phi I get quite stuck. The constants in the original problem above aren't exactly what I'm looking at here, but it seemed like if there was a way to compute that, I could handle the rest from there. Thanks!

P.S. I'm willing to accept that my density is just wrong.

1. Who is interested in integrals and e^(trig function)?

Many mathematicians, engineers, and scientists use integrals and e^(trig function) in their work, so they may be interested in this topic.

2. Why is e^(trig function) important in calculus?

e^(trig function) is important in calculus because it allows for the integration of functions that involve trigonometric functions, which are commonly used in physics and engineering.

3. What is the relationship between e^(trig function) and trigonometric identities?

The trigonometric identities can be expressed in terms of e^(trig function) using Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This relationship is useful for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions.

4. How can I simplify integrals involving e^(trig function)?

One way to simplify integrals involving e^(trig function) is to use trigonometric identities and substitution to rewrite the function in a more manageable form. Another approach is to use integration by parts.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals and e^(trig function)?

Integrals and e^(trig function) have many real-world applications, including in physics (such as calculating the area under a curve to determine displacement or velocity), engineering (for solving differential equations in circuits and signal processing), and economics (for modeling growth and decay). They are also used in statistics and probability to calculate probabilities and expected values.