Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Who was Accountable for Benghazi Attack

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1

morrobay

Gold Member

Four placed on leave.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It isn't very clear to me, but it appears from the title you are referring to (but don't mention in the actual post) the fact that all of the State Department personnel suspended were just reinstated at new posts:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/20/world/africa/libya-state-department-employees/

4. Aug 22, 2013 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

5. Aug 22, 2013 #4

Dotini

Gold Member

In a recent CNN special on Benghazi hosted by Erin Burnett, most if not all that was imparted by the OP was affirmed. It was also affirmed that all 30+ CIA operatives (at their compound 1 mile from the diplomatic facility, and which was also besieged for many hours after the initial attack at the first site) were being held incommunicado and subject to monthly polygraph tests to assure they spoke neither to news media nor to congressmen. Very clearly a heavy lid of secrecy is being clamped down on the entire affair.

6. Aug 22, 2013 #5

Evo

Please post sources for this, not questioning you, but we need sources that verify that the facts are accurate.

7. Aug 22, 2013 #6

Dotini

Gold Member

I have been unable to find the complete one hour TV broadcast, "The Truth About Benghazi". However, I have been able to come up with the following CNN broadcast segments:

Here is a link to part 1 of Erin's CNN broadcast.

Another fragment

CNN on the CIA intimidation, silencing and polygraphy of its Benghazi operatives. This really is a must see.

Included are allegations the purpose of the State Dept/CIA Benghazi mission was to transfer weapons, including ground to air missiles, from Libya thru Turkey to Syrian rebels.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Aug 22, 2013 #7
    So it took you all this time to figure out that the State Department was running cover for a covert CIA weapons operation? Is the need to place the blame on an individual politician more important than endangering CIA operations in the Middle East?

It is time to end the political witch hunt.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Aug 22, 2013 #8

nsaspook

Science Advisor

I agree but next time have an exit plan for when it hits the fan and hire a new guy to make cover stories.

10. Aug 22, 2013 #9
    We would not have had to exit had the press and politicians not blew open the covert CIA operation just to get a scoop, or gain political notoriety.

We never were good at exit plans. I had an older cousin who was sent to Cambodia just before hostilities in Vietnam heated up. He was undercover as a civil engineer on an irrigation project.

We never heard from him again. It was many years before his wife was told what country his body might be in.

11. Aug 22, 2013 #10

nsaspook

Science Advisor

If it bleeds, it leads.

Once Ambassador Stevens was killed the press coverage was a given. He wasn't shot but died from smoke inhalation by being trapped in a burning building almost alone and was not found by our people but by locals who tried to save him. My primary nit with the whole thing was the lack of US security to high value targets given the location and the people they were dealing with. The CIA operation attracted some very bad characters to the area and we failed to react to that threat due to the need to keep IMO a very low profile that made somebody override common sense measures.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-attack-that-killed-bay-area-native-arrested/

12. Aug 22, 2013 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Totally agree. The fact that the CIA was active in that area should shock no one. This whole thing feels like they were there for some (unknown to us) reason and things went south, and sadly it's being leveraged for political gain.

I'm not doubting that Fox and retired government personnel said things, but what is *their* bias? I mean, Fox? And don't you think that people from the 'military-industrial complex' have a self interest in this?

Good points. But none of us can speak with authority about what would have been reasonable wrt security at that location. We simply don't know the facts. I'm betting CIA tends not to be careless about security, and there is *plenty* that we don't know that influenced their decisions. Relying on media reports on this issue is pointless, to me. It's like trying to learn GR from crackpots.

13. Aug 22, 2013 #12

nsaspook

Science Advisor

You can speak for yourself about what you know about security requirements but we do know details that are not from news sources about the DS security conditions and requests for Benghazi and Libya in general during that time.
    http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DEI-to-BHO-10-19-2012-attachments.pdf

DS Diplomatic Security

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  14. Aug 22, 2013 #13
    You need to read more. WND is a very right wing source. Look at the real facts.

Where did you get the idea that the State Department wanted a low profile for political reasons. They wanted a low profile because it was actually a CIA operation. We have already covered that.

The Libyans were leary of boots on the ground security.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/w...-attack-in-benghazi-libya.html?pagewanted=all

ALSO:

To long for a cut and paste, but not to long for a quick read.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-is-supposed-to-protect-us-diplomats-12678877

Yes that is a link to Popular Mechanics. I really doubt that they are biased.

15. Aug 22, 2013 #14

Evo

NSA, from your link, the Benghazi office requested MINIMAL personnel, not more.

16. Aug 22, 2013 #15
    Christopher Stephens is a true American hero IMO. He arrived in Benghazi via a Greek cargo ship in the middle of the civil war. He knew the danger and he accepted it.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/05/15/official-amb-stevens-refused-additional-security.html

17. Aug 23, 2013 #16

Evo

Yeah, additional help was turned down, repeatedly. I don't know what he was thinking, maybe that if they showed they were of no threat that they'd be left alone?

What ever he was thinking, it resulted in their demise, no one else was at fault here. He was repeatedly offered more support and he repeatedly refused it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  18. Aug 23, 2013 #17

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Yes, and that makes my point about the lack of DS security forces to handle problems when people like Army Gen. Carter Ham who reads his sitrep messages about the area kept asking him if he needed more security but was repeatedly told no by him. But why did he do that is my question?

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/202446.pdf

The reports answer to my question is IMO shameful in it's lack of accountability.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  19. Aug 23, 2013 #18

Evo

Well, hopefully it's a lesson learned. Sadly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook