Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's the better actor?

1. Keanu Reeves.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Mel Gibson.

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    Definitely Mel Gibson.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2
    I think I would have to go with Gibson by default. May I ask what brought on such an odd comparison?

4. Dec 8, 2009 #3
    Keanue Reeves is great for the roles he plays. Of course, a plank of wood would ALSO be good for the roles he play.

5. Dec 8, 2009 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Keanu Reaves always plays Ted Logan. Mel Gibson's diversity is presented between Lethal Weapon (comedic action hero) and Road Warrior (badass reluctant hero). Oh yeah, and Conspiracy Theory (neurotic test subject hero).

Though if anyone's seen the first Madmax (before Road Warrior) they saw Gibson before he could act well.

6. Dec 8, 2009 #5
    I would say Mel Gibson because he can play a variety of roles where as Keanu Reeves is usually typecasted.

I like them both, but Mel Gibson is a better actor.

7. Dec 8, 2009 #6
    Keanu was pretty good in The Matrix. People don't give him any credit for acting well, but he played a decent Neo. Nicolas Cage supposedly turned down the role, so I guess we at least got the lesser of two evils.

8. Dec 8, 2009 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but the way he plays the role is just a reincarnation of his Bill and Ted role (just older). And he's done that several other times: Constantine was a great movie, but he was the same guy. Speed was Neo as a cop. The Day the Earth Stood Still was Neo the robot alien.

Now he has occasionally done a couple of other roles (Sweet November?), but I haven't seen those movies....

9. Dec 9, 2009 #8
    The thing is, he just seems so emotionless in all his roles and he has that same surfer way of talking. It's not necessarily the same character.

10. Dec 9, 2009 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

Yeah, he'd better ask which 1 is sexier!:tongue2:

11. Dec 9, 2009 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Neither one belongs in a Shakespeare role. Reeves in Much Ado was horrid to the point of mild pain and Gibson bit off waaaayyyy more than he could chew as Hamlet.

I liked Gibson in Payback. That was a pretty good role for him. I also cringe to think of Reeves in Braveheart. Gibson FTW.

12. Dec 9, 2009 #11
    I think we should throw Harrison Ford into the mix.

13. Dec 9, 2009 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Considering how little acting either is required to do, the question is a little like asking if people prefer to eat rocks or glass. They both wind up typecast and keep playing the same basic role over and over.

I guess there's at least a couple roles Reeves has played where you become involved enough in the character that you forget it's Reeves playing the role, so he probably has the talent to be a good actor if he could get good roles. The only role Gibson has played where I even remember the character's name is Braveheart. (None the less, if you ask which turned in the most enjoyable performance, I'd have to say Gibson in "Mad Max - Beyond the Thunder Dome". I loved that movie even if it was definitely a B-rate movie.)

I like actors like DiCaprio and Depp in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". You remember the characters in the movie more than who the actor was and that's the mark of a good actor - to bring the character to life. Or Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland in "Freeway", for that matter - I never would have expected Witherspoon to play that type of role and play it so well.

14. Dec 9, 2009 #13
    Two facts:
    1. Only movie Keanu shows really good emotion is in Bill & Ted. Everything else is just seems like his emotion died.

2. Keanu Reeves is cute but not hot.

15. Dec 9, 2009 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

(hint: Gibson played Max in Mad Max)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook