Why am I getting Maxwell's second equation wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a misunderstanding in the equations ##(23\ a)## and ##(23\ c)## in the article "Reflections in Maxwell's treatise" and their relation to the divergence of the magnetic field. The summary includes equations and explanations for the correct derivation of the divergence of the magnetic field and the role of the coordinate parameter in the equations.
Beelzedad
While going through an article titled "Reflections in Maxwell's treatise" a misunderstanding popped out at page 227 and 228. Consider the following equations ##(23\ a)## and ##(23\ c)## in the article (avoiding the surface integral):

##\displaystyle \psi_m (\mathbf{r})=-\dfrac{1}{4 \pi} \int_V \dfrac{\nabla' \cdot \mathbf{M} (\mathbf{r'})}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|} dV'=\dfrac{1}{4 \pi} \int_V \dfrac{\rho_m}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|} dV' \tag{23a}##

##\displaystyle \mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})=-\dfrac{1}{4 \pi} \int_V \nabla' \cdot \mathbf{M} (\mathbf{r'}) \dfrac{\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|^3} dV'=\dfrac{1}{4 \pi} \int_V \rho_m \dfrac{\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|^3} dV' \tag{23b}##

##\displaystyle \mu_0\mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})=\dfrac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int_V \rho_m \dfrac{\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|^3} dV'##

where ##\rho_m=-\nabla' \cdot \mathbf{M} (\mathbf{r'})##

Using Gauss law and divergence theorem and noting that the divergence due to the surface integral (in the article) is zero:

##\nabla \cdot \mu_0\mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})=\mu_0\ \rho_m=-\mu_0 \nabla' \cdot \mathbf{M} (\mathbf{r'})##

Using the above result:

##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}) =\nabla \cdot (\mu_0\mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})+\mu_0\mathbf{M} (\mathbf{r'}))=-\mu_0 \nabla' \cdot \mathbf{M} (\mathbf{r'})+\bbox[yellow]{\mu_0 \nabla \cdot \mathbf{M} (\mathbf{r'})}##

##\bbox[yellow]{\text{In the second term, since divergence is with respect to field coordinates, the second term is zero.}}## Therefore:

##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})=-\mu_0 \nabla' \cdot \mathbf{M} (\mathbf{r'})##

But it should be zero (equation ##32## in the article). There must be something wrong in my calculation. Please explain why am I getting ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}) \neq 0##

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this one is simple: You have ## \nabla \cdot H(r)=\rho_m ##, but that is actually ## \rho_m(r) ##. Your previous equation with ## \rho_m ## was ## \rho_m(r')= -\nabla' \cdot M(r') ##. You can't throw away the understood coordinate parameter that the ## \rho_m ## carries with it. With the ## \nabla \cdot H(r) ##, that is ## \rho_m(r) ## and not ## \rho_m(r') ##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Beelzedad
Another difficulty which arises is the following:

##\displaystyle \nabla \cdot \mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})=\dfrac{d\Phi}{dV} =\dfrac{d\ \displaystyle\oint_{A} \mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r}) \cdot \mathbf{\hat{n}}\ dA }{dV}=\dfrac{dq'_m}{dV} \tag1##

But we should be getting ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})=\dfrac{dq_m}{dV} \tag2##

Why are we getting ##(1)## instead of ##(2)##?

I don't understand your notation. You cannot take a derivative with respect to a volume.

I guess, what you mean is (using Heaviside-Lorentz units)
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{4 \pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 r' \rho(\vec{r}') \vec{\nabla} \cdot \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}.$$
Now the nabla operator is with respect to ##\vec{r}##, and
$$\vec{E}_{\text{coulomb}}(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{4 \pi} \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3},$$
is the field of a unit point charge sitting at ##\vec{r}'##, i.e.,
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}(\vec{r})=\delta(\vec{r}-\vec{r}').$$
Thus you find
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 r' \rho_m(\vec{r}') \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')=\rho_m(\vec{r}),$$
as it should be.

You have to be more "pedantic" concerning clearly dinstinguishing betwee ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{r}'## and more carefully observe, to which position vector your nabla oparator refers!

vanhees71 said:
I don't understand your notation. You cannot take a derivative with respect to a volume.
In equation (1), I just used the formal definition of divergence.

By denoting the source charge with prime, I get flux through a closed surface ##(\Phi)=
\displaystyle\oint_{A} \mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r}) \cdot \mathbf{\hat{n}}\ dA
=q'_m
##

And now using the formal definition of divergence:

##
\displaystyle \nabla \cdot \mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})=\dfrac{d\Phi}{dV} = \dfrac{dq'_m}{dV} \tag3
##

In order to get ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})=\rho_m (\mathbf{r})##, we should be having:

##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r})=\dfrac{dq_m}{dV} \tag4##

instead of equation (3). Where am I going wrong?

As I said, you have to be more pedantic concerning your notation. The coordinate-independent definition of the divergence is as follows: The divergence of a vector field at point ##\vec{r}##, ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{r})## is given by the following limit
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{r}) = \lim_{\Delta V \rightarrow \{\vec{r} \}} \frac{1}{\Delta V} \int_{\partial \Delta V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f}' \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{r}').$$
Here ##\Delta V## is some volume containing the point ##\vec{x}##, ##\partial \Delta V## is its boundary surface, by convention oriented such that the surface-normal vectors along the surface all point out of the volume. The limit means to "contract" ##\Delta V## to the point ##\vec{r}##. You can of course easily derive the differential form for any given set of coordinates. E.g., for Cartesian coordinates you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{r})=\sum_{j=1}^3 \frac{\partial}{\partial r^j} V^j(\vec{r}).$$

It is clear that the only free position variable is ##\vec{r}##. You integrate over the ##\vec{r}'##.

The notation ##\mathrm{d q_m}{\mathrm{d} V}## doesn't make any sense. I've shown, how to derive the correct formula
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r})=\rho_m(\vec{r})$$
in my previous posting.

Of course, it's easier to derive directly from Maxwell's equations for the magnetostatic case, assuming that only magnetization, no current densities are present.
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} (\vec{H}+\vec{M})=0.$$
From the first equation you get that there exists a magnetostatic potential,
$$\vec{H}=-\vec{\nabla} \phi,$$
and from the 2nd equation
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}=-\Delta \phi=-\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{M}=\rho_m.$$
The solution is known from electrostatics (or more formally by using the Green's function of the Laplace operator),
$$\phi(\vec{r})=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d}^3 r' \frac{\rho_m(\vec{r}')}{4 \pi |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}.$$

Likes Charles Link
Thanks for showing another way to derive ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r})=\rho_m(\vec{r})##. However I am eager to derive it using Gauss divergence theorem. Can you please show how to properly do it?

You always come from the local form of the Maxwell equations to their integral form by using the integral theorems. In this case from ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}=\rho_m## you get by using Gauss's integral theorem [corrected in view of #9]
$$q_{mV}=\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 r' \vec{\nabla}' \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r}') = \int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f}' \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r}').$$
Now, assuming that ##\rho_m## is a sufficiently smooth function (particularly no surface-charge distribution or even a point-charge distribution which are generalized functions ("distributions" in the functional-analygiscal sense) rather then proper functions!). Then in making ##V## be a small volume ##\Delta V## around ##\vec{r}##, you can approximate
$$q_{m \Delta V}=\Delta V \rho_m(\vec{r})$$
Then dividing the equation by ##\Delta V## and making ##\Delta V \rightarrow \{\vec{r} \}## you immediately get
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r})=\rho_m(\vec{r}).$$
Of course in some sense, defining the divergence in this very clever coordinate-indpendent way via the surface integral and the limit process described, Gauss's theorem is merely a tautology!

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
vanhees71 said:
You always come from the local form of the Maxwell equations to their integral form by using the integral theorems. In this case from ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}=\rho_m## you get by using Gauss's integral theorem
$$q_{mV}=\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 r' \vec{\nabla}' \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{r}') = \int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f}' \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r}').$$
Now, assuming that ##\rho_m## is a sufficiently smooth function (particularly no surface-charge distribution or even a point-charge distribution which are generalized functions ("distributions" in the functional-analygiscal sense) rather then proper functions!). Then in making ##V## be a small volume ##\Delta V## around ##\vec{r}##, you can approximate
$$q_{m \Delta V}=\Delta V \rho_m(\vec{r})$$
Then dividing the equation by ##\Delta V## and making ##\Delta V \rightarrow \{\vec{r} \}## you immediately get
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}(\vec{r})=\rho_m(\vec{r}).$$
Of course in some sense, defining the divergence in this very clever coordinate-indpendent way via the surface integral and the limit process described, Gauss's theorem is merely a tautology!
One simple correction: I believe that needs to be a ## \nabla' \cdot H(r') ## instead of a ## \nabla' \cdot V(r') ## in the top middle equation above. Otherwise, an excellent proof !

Last edited:
Sure, I'll correct it immediately! Thanks!

Likes Charles Link

1. Why is it important to understand Maxwell's second equation?

Maxwell's second equation, also known as Gauss's law, is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charge and electric fields. It is crucial for understanding how electric charges behave and how they interact with each other and with electric fields.

2. What are some common mistakes made when trying to solve Maxwell's second equation?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to account for the direction of the electric field, using the wrong units, or not properly considering the boundary conditions of the system. It is also important to remember that the equation only applies to static electric fields, not changing or dynamic ones.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Maxwell's second equation?

One way to improve your understanding is to practice solving problems and working through examples. It can also be helpful to review the derivation of the equation and its underlying principles. Additionally, seeking clarification from a teacher or tutor can also aid in understanding.

4. What are some real-world applications of Maxwell's second equation?

Maxwell's second equation has many practical applications, including in the design of electronic devices, the understanding of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena, and the development of technologies such as wireless communication and radar.

5. Are there any alternative or simplified versions of Maxwell's second equation?

Yes, there are alternative versions of the equation, such as the integral form and the differential form, which are used in different contexts. There are also simplified versions, such as the scalar form, which only applies to situations with a single charge and is easier to solve. However, it is important to understand the full equation and its various forms in order to fully grasp the concepts of electromagnetism.