Why Are Clockwise Moments Negative and Anti-Clockwise Moments Positive?

• Thread starter Fiona Rozario
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment Sign
In summary, the convention of taking clockwise moments as negative and anti-clockwise moments as positive is arbitrary. Both directions can yield the same results as long as one is consistent. The right-hand rule is based on another arbitrary convention of the conventional positive/negative directions of each axis. However, one can use whatever convention they prefer as long as it is consistent.
Fiona Rozario
Why are clockwise moments taken as negative and anti-clockwise moment as positive? Why not the other way around?

Physics news on Phys.org
An arbitrary convention. But if you like the right-hand rule, you will find that your right thumb points up if your fingers are curled in the counter-clockwise direction.

Perhaps the clock makers are the ones with the wrong convention!

If you do it the other way around, you'll get the same answers (as long as you are consistent).

I actually sometimes do it the other way around (because when I visualize 3D coords, the Z axis goes out forward in front of me, so pointing my thumb in the positive direction makes my fingers curl clockwise)

So for my X and Y axes it's "the right hand rule" but for my Z axis, (in order to be consistent,) it's "the left hand rule"

(I could just flip my Z axis, but that's very unnatural to me, especially when the Z axis represents time)Like Ultrafast said, it's just a convention.I just wanted to point out that "the right hand rule" only works if you follow another arbitrary convention (the conventional positive/negative directions of each axis)

Do whatever you like as long as you are consistent.

sophiecentaur said:
Do whatever you like as long as you are consistent.

... and explain which convention you are using!

Related to Why Are Clockwise Moments Negative and Anti-Clockwise Moments Positive?

What is a clockwise moment?

A clockwise moment refers to the rotational movement of an object in the same direction as the hands of a clock, or in a clockwise direction.

Why is it important to have a sign for a clockwise moment?

A sign for a clockwise moment is important because it indicates the direction of rotation, which is crucial in understanding the movement and behavior of an object.

How do you determine the sign for a clockwise moment?

The sign for a clockwise moment is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the moment is represented by the direction of the thumb when the fingers wrap around the axis of rotation in a clockwise direction.

Can a clockwise moment be negative?

Yes, a clockwise moment can be negative if the direction of rotation is opposite to the direction of the positive axis. In this case, the sign for the moment would be represented with a negative symbol.

What are some real-life examples of a clockwise moment?

Some real-life examples of a clockwise moment include the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the winding of a clock, and the movement of a screw when it is being tightened in a clockwise direction.