Why are eddy currents circular?

In summary, the conversation discusses the induced electric field lines and eddy currents, specifically their circular shape and susceptibility to magnetic field homogeneity. The use of the right hand grip rule is mentioned as a way to demonstrate their circular nature.
vysakh
i tried to fig it out by watching a lot of vid on it but no chance
help me

Physics news on Phys.org
vysakh said:
i tried to fig it out by watching a lot of vid on it but no chance
help me
Welcome to PF!
Please use complete wording. Text-speak is not allowed here on PF.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

The induced electric field lines are circular as shown in the figure.
Figure-36-Induced-electric-field-strength-E-in-different-materials-from-to-bottom-are.png

Eddy currents are not always circular. They are susceptible to the magnetic field homogeneity. They are somewhat circular due to the electromagnetic field
which can be easily demonstrated with the right hand grip rule.

What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is placed in a changing magnetic field.

Why are eddy currents circular?

Eddy currents are circular because they are caused by the interaction between changing magnetic fields and conductors. The circular motion is a result of the conductor's electrons being pushed by the changing magnetic field in a circular path.

How are eddy currents different from regular electric currents?

Eddy currents are different from regular electric currents because they are induced in a conductor by a changing magnetic field, rather than by a direct electrical connection. They also tend to flow in circular patterns, while regular electric currents follow a specific path.

What are the applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents have various applications, including braking systems in trains and roller coasters, metal detectors, induction heating, and magnetic levitation in high-speed trains.

Can eddy currents be controlled or minimized?

Yes, eddy currents can be controlled or minimized by using materials with low electrical conductivity, laminating conductive materials, or by using magnetic shields to redirect the magnetic field away from the conductor.