Why are family members different?

• Thread starter david2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary, siblings are physically different due to genetic recombination during meiosis, where DNA from each parent is mixed together to create unique combinations. This is why siblings are not automatically twins, even though they inherit the same chromosomes from their parents. This process of genetic recombination is responsible for creating differences between siblings.
david2
i mean why is my brother physically different then me. why aren't we twins by default? don't we have the same chromosomes inhererented from our parents?

aren't zygotes the same from the start?

dumb question prolly, but i do not have the answer.

are chromosomes copied with errors or something or are other factors come into play?

thx

Biology news on Phys.org
david2 said:
i mean why is my brother physically different then me. why aren't we twins by default? don't we have the same chromosomes inhererented from our parents?

aren't zygotes the same from the start?

dumb question prolly, but i do not have the answer.

are chromosomes copied with errors or something or are other factors come into play?

thx
Homologous chromosomes is separated while sperms and eggs are generated,and the two separated string will enter two different sperms or eggs,which essentially means that your om and dad are flipping coins on every one of your body features,which makes you and your brother different,cause there coin flipping results re different.

During meiosis, which is the type of cell division that creates gametes (sperm and eggs), genetic recombination occurs that takes DNA from one-half of a chromosome and copies it to the other. Each chromosome is composed of a pair of chromatids, which are the 'arms' and 'legs' of a chromosome. For each chromosome, you get one chromatid from your father and one from your mother. Recombination swaps DNA between each chromatid so that the new chromatids are unique and different from either of the parent chromatids.

In other words, the DNA from your parents is mixed together and a unique combination comes out of the process, which is where the differences between siblings comes from.

See this link for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosomal_crossover

Likes BillTre, jim mcnamara and YoungPhysicist
Drakkith said:
During meiosis, which is the type of cell division that creates gametes (sperm and eggs), genetic recombination occurs that takes DNA from one-half of a chromosome and copies it to the other. Each chromosome is composed of a pair of chromatids, which are the 'arms' and 'legs' of a chromosome. For each chromosome, you get one chromatid from your father and one from your mother. Recombination swaps DNA between each chromatid so that the new chromatids are unique and different from either of the parent chromatids.

In other words, the DNA from your parents is mixed together and a unique combination comes out of the process, which is where the differences between siblings comes from.

See this link for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosomal_crossover
Way more professional then me!

Likes Drakkith
thanx for the answers

1. Why do siblings have different physical characteristics?

Physical characteristics, such as hair color and height, are determined by genetics. Each person inherits a unique combination of genes from their parents, which is why siblings can have different physical characteristics.

2. How do family members develop different personalities?

Personality is shaped by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. While siblings may share some genetic traits, they also have different life experiences and interactions with their environment, which can lead to the development of distinct personalities.

3. Why do family members have different interests and talents?

Interests and talents are often influenced by a combination of genetics and environmental factors. While siblings may share some interests and talents, they may also have different genetic predispositions and exposure to different experiences that shape their interests and talents.

4. How do family members have different behaviors?

Behavior is influenced by a combination of genetics, upbringing, and environmental factors. While siblings may share some genetic traits, they also have different experiences and upbringing that can shape their behavior in unique ways.

5. What causes siblings to have different health conditions?

Health conditions can be influenced by genetics, lifestyle choices, and environmental factors. While siblings may share some genetic predispositions, they may also have different lifestyle choices and exposure to environmental factors that can impact their health differently.