Why are liquid surfaces at constant pressure?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dEdt
Messages
286
Reaction score
2
This is probably a stupid question with a simple answer, but please bear with me.

Suppose we have a bucket of water that we begin to spin at a constant angular speed. My textbook asked to find the shape of the surface of water, with the hint that the surface would be a surface of constant pressure. I got the right answer, but I don't fully understand why the surface should all be at the same pressure. I thought it had to do with preventing water from flowing along the surface, but I don't think that's it because different points of the fluid could be at different pressures without fluid flowing between them.

Also, does this (surface liquid makes = surface of constant pressure) hold if viscosity is introduces?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Surface pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure which is assumed constant. Isn't it?