Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are liquid surfaces at constant pressure?

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    This is probably a stupid question with a simple answer, but please bear with me.

Suppose we have a bucket of water that we begin to spin at a constant angular speed. My textbook asked to find the shape of the surface of water, with the hint that the surface would be a surface of constant pressure. I got the right answer, but I don't fully understand why the surface should all be at the same pressure. I thought it had to do with preventing water from flowing along the surface, but I don't think that's it because different points of the fluid could be at different pressures without fluid flowing between them.

Also, does this (surface liquid makes = surface of constant pressure) hold if viscosity is introduces?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2
    Surface pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure which is assumed constant. Isn't it?

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Ah of course, that makes sense. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook