Why Are There Different Units for Moment of Inertia?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
lingesh
Messages
28
Reaction score
2
Hi,
I am a bit confused about the units of MI...I read that MI of rectangle is b*d^3/12,so unit is mm^4..Also i read in wiki that unit of MI is kg.mm^2...

Both are correct,but why this difference is?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct dimension is mass x length^2. The expression for the rectangle you found assumes a surface density of one and the actual expression should be multiplied by the surface density, which will also result in a dimension of mass x length^2.
 
lingesh said:
Hi,
I am a bit confused about the units of MI...I read that MI of rectangle is b*d^3/12,so unit is mm^4..Also i read in wiki that unit of MI is kg.mm^2...

Both are correct,but why this difference is?

You are getting two different moments of inertia confused.

The area moment of inertia, sometimes called the second moment of area, has units of L4. The second moment of area of a rectangle is bd3/12, when referenced to the centroid of the rectangle. The area moment of inertia is chiefly used to determine things like bending stresses in beams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area

The mass moment of inertia, sometimes abbreviated MOI or MMOI, is a slightly different concept. The MMOI has units of M L2.

The MMOI relates the torque applied to a body to its angular acceleration, T = I α, and is analogous to F = ma for rectilinear motion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: lingesh
SteamKing said:
You are getting two different moments of inertia confused.

The area moment of inertia, sometimes called the second moment of area, has units of L4. The second moment of area of a rectangle is bd3/12, when referenced to the centroid of the rectangle. The area moment of inertia is chiefly used to determine things like bending stresses in beams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area

The mass moment of inertia, sometimes abbreviated MOI or MMOI, is a slightly different concept. The MMOI has units of M L2.

The MMOI relates the torque applied to a body to its angular acceleration, T = I α, and is analogous to F = ma for rectilinear motion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia
Thanks...