Why Can't I Find the Minimum Value for G(x) on the Interval [0, π/2]?

In summary, the maximum and minimum values for G(x) on the interval [0,pi/2] can be found by testing the turning points of the function and the boundary conditions. It is necessary to have a non-increasing derivative at the left endpoint and a non-decreasing derivative at the right endpoint for a local maximum, and the opposite conditions for a local minimum. Alternatively, the values of G(x) at the endpoints and at points very close to the endpoints can also provide information about the behavior of the function near the boundaries. This information is essential in finding the maximum and minimum values through numerical optimization methods.
ronho1234
i know this is a basic calculus question, but i can't seem to get two answers.

G(x) = 1/2 x^2sin2x+1/2 xcos2x - 1/4 sin2x

find the maximum and minimum values for G(x) on the interval [0,pi/2]

i found G'(x)= x^2 cos2x and i know that there is a global max at pi/4 but i can't find the min value for G(x)...

Physics news on Phys.org
ronho1234 said:
i found G'(x)= x^2 cos2x and i know that there is a global max at pi/4 but i can't find the min value for G(x)...

The max and min values can be found either at the turning points of the function, or on the boundaries. So from G'(x)=0 we can see we need to test x=0 and x=[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 but we also have the boundary conditions and it's quite possible that the min or max lies on the edges, so at x=0 and x=[itex]\pi[/itex]/2 (clearly x=0 overlaps so we aren't going to test it twice).

yes i kind of understand what you mean...
but since pi/2 is a boundary how do i know if its a max or min
do i substitute it back into g(x) and g'(x) if so i get -pi/4 and -1 respectively
sorry i still don't quite get it, could you please show me hot to work it out

What does the maximum and minimum value mean?

If I have some function y=f(x) then what are we given when we substitute some constant in for x, say, x=1?

What if we plug this x-value value into the derivative, y=f'(x)?

ronho1234 said:
yes i kind of understand what you mean...
but since pi/2 is a boundary how do i know if its a max or min
do i substitute it back into g(x) and g'(x) if so i get -pi/4 and -1 respectively
sorry i still don't quite get it, could you please show me hot to work it out

If you want to maximize a smooth function f(x) on an interval [a,b] (that is, on the interval a ≤ x ≤ b that includes both endpoints), then: (i) in order that x=a be a (local) max it is *necessary* to have f'(a) ≤ 0 (that is, f(x) must _not be strictly increasing_ just to the right of a); (ii) in order tht x = b be a local max, it is necessary to have f'(b) ≥ 0 (so that f(x) is not strictly decreasing just to the left of b).

Of course, the conditions for a min are the opposite of the above.

Neither of these conditions is *sufficient* unless the inequalities are strict; that is, you can have f'(a) = 0, and x = a can be either a max or a min.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
If you want to maximize a smooth function f(x) on an interval [a,b] (that is, on the interval a ≤ x ≤ b that includes both endpoints), then: (i) in order that x=a be a (local) max it is *necessary* to have f'(a) ≤ 0 (that is, f(x) must _not be strictly increasing_ just to the right of a); (ii) in order tht x = b be a local max, it is necessary to have f'(b) ≥ 0 (so that f(x) is not strictly decreasing just to the left of b).
Or you could just as simply calculate the value of f(a) and f(b) to determine whether it's the min/max for that continuous interval.

Mentallic said:
Or you could just as simply calculate the value of f(a) and f(b) to determine whether it's the min/max for that continuous interval.

OK, but the derivative will tell you whether nearby points are better or worse then the endpoint. Alternatively, you could compute f(x) at an endpoint and at another point very near the endpoint, to check how the function is behaving near the boundary.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
OK, but the derivative will tell you whether nearby points are better or worse then the endpoint. Alternatively, you could compute f(x) at an endpoint and at another point very near the endpoint, to check how the function is behaving near the boundary.

RGV

I'm not disagreeing with you that checking the derivative at the endpoints is usually a better method, I'm just offering the OP another (probably more simple) way of understanding how to find min/max values on an interval.

Mentallic said:
I'm not disagreeing with you that checking the derivative at the endpoints is usually a better method, I'm just offering the OP another (probably more simple) way of understanding how to find min/max values on an interval.

Unfortunately, just computing f at the endpoints is not enough; we also need some information about the behaviour of f near the endpoints (is it increasing? decreasing?) One way, as I suggested, is to evaluate f'(a) and f'(b) (as well as f(a) and f(b)); another way is to reason it out: if y < b is the right-most stationary point in (a,b), then f will be decreasing between y and b if y is a max, and will be increasing between y and b if y is a min, etc. *Some* kind of information of that type is required.

Anyway, testing f' at the endpoints is included as a vital part of most standard numerical optimization routines that utilize derivative methods.

RGV

Last edited:

Related to Why Can't I Find the Minimum Value for G(x) on the Interval [0, π/2]?

What is the concept of maximum and minimum values?

Maximum and minimum values refer to the highest and lowest points of a function or data set, respectively. They represent the extreme values that a function can attain within a given range or domain.

How do you find the maximum and minimum values of a function?

To find the maximum and minimum values of a function, you can use calculus techniques such as finding the derivative and setting it equal to zero to solve for critical points. Then, you can plug these critical points into the original function to determine the maximum and minimum values.

What is the significance of maximum and minimum values in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, maximum and minimum values can represent important information such as the highest and lowest points of a stock market trend, the highest and lowest temperatures in a location, or the maximum and minimum speeds of a moving object.

Can a function have more than one maximum or minimum value?

Yes, a function can have multiple maximum and minimum values. This can occur when the function has multiple peaks and valleys within a given range or domain.

What is the difference between local and global maximum and minimum values?

Local maximum and minimum values refer to the highest and lowest points within a specific interval of a function, while global maximum and minimum values refer to the highest and lowest points of the entire function. A global maximum or minimum value may also be a local maximum or minimum value, but a local maximum or minimum value does not necessarily have to be a global maximum or minimum value.