What is their velocity just after the tackle?

• Thread starter doxigywlz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving the momentum of two players in a football game. The question is solved using the principle of momentum conservation in both the x and y directions, resulting in a final velocity of 2.9 m/s.
doxigywlz
okay, more questions for me!

this really, really easy question is not working out for me!

A 90-kg fullback moving east with a speed of 5 m/s is tackled by a 95-kg opponent rnning north at 3m/s. what is their velocity just after the tackle?

Perfectly inelastic, right?

so (90)(5) + (95)(3) = (m1 + m2) Vf
So, according to this, Vf= 3.9 m/s but the book answer is 2.9 m/s. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that momentum is a VECTOR QUANTITY. You have to consider momentum conservation in both the East-West (x) and North-South (y)directions seperately. That is,

[tex]p_{x, initial} = p_{x, final} \ \ \ \ \ p_{y, initial} = p_{y, final}[/tex]

After you find what the final velocities in the x and y directions remember that the magnitude of the velocity is

[tex]v_{final} = \sqrt{v_{x, final}^2 + v_{y, final}^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
oooooohhhhh yeah. thanks! let's see if i can get the answer now...

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position over time. It includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, they have different definitions. Velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed only describes how fast an object is moving without considering direction.

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it took for that change to occur. In other words, velocity equals displacement divided by time.

4. How does velocity relate to acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. This means that if an object's velocity changes, it is accelerating. If an object's velocity remains constant, there is no acceleration.

5. Why is velocity important in physics?

Velocity is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It allows us to make predictions about an object's future position and to analyze the forces acting on it.