Why can't light pass through to the dark side of a window?

• Thread starter danHa
  • Start date
danHa
if I would look through a window on darker area I would see my reflection instead of the outside world . but if the other side of the window is light then the light may pass through the window does the light outside effect the window and make the refraction disappear ?.
or the light always cross both window side but our eye filter the reflection when more light is coming outside ?.
what happens if I point laser from two side of the window in difference angles on the same point would only one laser come trough the window ?.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

A.T.
Science Advisor
or the light always cross both window side but our eye filter the reflection when more light is coming outside ?.
Yes. The eye adapts to the total amount of light coming in, so you see the reflection better if there is less light coming trough the window.

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2022 Award
The reflected and transmitted images are always there. Your eye picks up the brighter image and ignores the dimmer one - it may not even be able to detect the dimmer image if the brighter one is too bright.

Sometimes the brightnesses of the two images are comparable and you can see both. You can probably see this if you live in a built up area - turn on a light inside after dark and look out at the street. You'll probably be able to see both your reflection and the outside world.

A rule of thumb (from 20 year old memory, so beware!) is that about 4% of light is reflected at each glass/air boundary. So your side needs to be quite a lot brighter than the other side for you to see a reflection.

Likes Redbelly98, vanhees71 and danHa
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
A rule of thumb (from 20 year old memory, so beware!) is that about 4% of light is reflected at each glass/air boundary.
Correct. Generally 3.5% to 4%, depending on the specific type of glass.

The formula is ## \left( \frac{n-1}{n+1} \right) ^2 ##.

• Informative
Likes danHa, Keith_McClary and Ibix
danHa
Yes. The eye adapts to the total amount of light coming in, so you see the reflection better if there is less light coming trough the window.

Correct. Generally 3.5% to 4%, depending on the specific type of glass.

The formula is ## \left( \frac{n-1}{n+1} \right) ^2 ##.
what n stand for?

Suggested for: Why can't light pass through to the dark side of a window?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views