Why can't we always add quantities with the same dimensions?

In summary, the principle of homogeneity states that quantities with the same units can be added and subtracted without issue. However, there are exceptions when the units must be correctly converted. One such exception is the addition of torque and energy, which have the same dimensions but cannot be added together in their original units.
johncena
According to principle of homogeneity, quantities having same dimensions can be added and subracted...but isn't it false ?
because according to the principle ,
we can add quantities having dimensions M0L0T0
I.E we can add plane angle and solid angle,
we can add angles in different measures, (i.e radian measure + degree measure)without conversion...but what will be the result?
Similarly,
1km + 2m = ?
1s + 1m = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if a = 18 and b = 2pi, then a + b = 18 + 2 pi.
Of course, if a and b are the outcome of a measurement, and the measurement was done in degrees and radians respectively, 18 + 2 pi does not have any meaning. But it is definitely possible to add them.

1 km + 2 m makes perfect sense, since 1 km = 1000 m. So 1 km + 2 m = 1002 m, or 1.002 km.
1s + 1m is not possible, because one has dimension of time and the other has dimension of length.

Also, I never heard the word homogeneity used for this.

Anyway, I don't know if my post is very helpful, but I don't really see what you are trying to do.

johncena said:
According to principle of homogeneity, quantities having same dimensions can be added and subracted...but isn't it false ?

It would be more exact to say that "Quantities with the same units can be added and subtracted with no problem." Quantities with the same dimensions can often be added and subtracted as long as the units are correctly converted, but their are exceptions.

[tex]\mathrm{1\,km+2\,m=1000\,m + 2\,m=1002\,m}[/tex]

[tex]\mathrm{1\,s+1\,min=1\,s + 60\,s=61\,s}[/tex]

[tex]\mathrm{1\,rad+1^\circ=\left(\frac{180}{\pi}+1\right)^\circ}[/tex]

Here's an exception: torque and energy (or work) are both measured in dimensions of ML2T-2, but the sum of 1 Nm of torque and 1 J of energy isn't generally meaningful. So we write the units differently (Nm vs. J), even though they're dimensionally equivalent, to make the distinction clear.

Related to Why can't we always add quantities with the same dimensions?

1. What is the principle of homogeneity?

The principle of homogeneity is a fundamental concept in physics and other sciences that states that the units used to measure physical quantities must be consistent throughout a calculation or equation. This means that all terms in an equation must have the same units or be dimensionless.

2. Why is the principle of homogeneity important?

The principle of homogeneity is important because it ensures that calculations and equations are mathematically valid and physically meaningful. It also allows for easier unit conversions and comparisons between different physical quantities.

3. How is the principle of homogeneity applied in science?

In science, the principle of homogeneity is applied by checking the units of each term in an equation or calculation to make sure they are consistent. If a term has different units, it must be converted to match the other terms before the equation can be solved.

4. Can the principle of homogeneity be broken?

Yes, the principle of homogeneity can be broken in certain situations. For example, in quantum mechanics, some equations may have terms with different units, but they are still mathematically valid. However, in most cases, breaking the principle of homogeneity will lead to errors in calculations or equations.

5. How is the principle of homogeneity related to dimensional analysis?

The principle of homogeneity is closely related to dimensional analysis, which is a method used to check the consistency of physical equations. Dimensional analysis involves examining the units of each term in an equation to make sure they are consistent with the desired units for the final answer. If the units do not match, the equation is not physically valid.