Why did Nokia discontinued slide phones?

• Thread starter Kholdstare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slide
In summary, the speaker has always used low cost phones with minimal features but now wants the more expensive Nokia 6700 slide. However, this phone has been discontinued, along with other slide phones, and the speaker is frustrated by this trend towards touchscreens and smartphones. They prefer a metallic finish and slide keypad, and are determined to find this specific phone. They speculate that slide phones are being phased out due to the popularity and versatility of touchscreens, and suggest checking online marketplaces for the desired phone model.
Kholdstare
I had always used very low cost phones with minimal features. Finally, I've set my eyes upon something expensive. Its Nokia 6700 slide. I WANT this phone. Sad thing is Nokia discontinued it alongside Nokia 6600i slide, Nokia n86 8mp etc.

When I wanted a multi-feature phone, I looked for >5MP camera with autofocus and NO touchscreen. I hate touchscreens and so called smartphones. I want my phone with metallic finish and slide keypad (No QWERTY). I'm not going to settle for anything less. :grumpy:

Why did Nokia discontinue slide phones? Why?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Slide, flip, swivel etc all those old phone designs are out if not heading out because they're not as popular as the standard touchscreen of a smartphone. Touchscreens I guess are more versatile (can rotate for instance), require less moving parts and take up less space.

Have you tried eBay, gumtree etc to see if you can get one there?

1. Why did Nokia decide to discontinue slide phones?

Nokia discontinued slide phones due to a decline in consumer demand and a shift towards touch screen smartphones. As the market evolved, the company needed to adapt and focus on producing devices that were more in line with what consumers wanted.

2. Was there a specific model that led to the discontinuation of slide phones?

While there was no single model that caused the discontinuation of slide phones, the Nokia N95 was one of the last popular slide phones the company produced. It was released in 2007 and by 2011, Nokia had completely stopped producing slide phones.

3. Did Nokia face any challenges with their slide phone technology?

One of the main challenges Nokia faced with their slide phone technology was the potential for mechanical failures. The constant sliding mechanism could lead to issues with the phone's durability and functionality. This, combined with the decline in demand, likely contributed to the decision to discontinue slide phones.

4. How did the discontinuation of slide phones impact Nokia's market share?

Nokia's decision to discontinue slide phones did not have a significant impact on their market share. By the time they stopped producing slide phones, they were already facing tough competition from other smartphone manufacturers. The company's decline in market share was more heavily influenced by their inability to keep up with the rapidly changing technology landscape.

5. Are there any plans for Nokia to reintroduce slide phones in the future?

As of now, there are no plans for Nokia to reintroduce slide phones. The company has shifted its focus to producing smartphones with touch screen technology and it is unlikely that they will go back to producing slide phones. However, as technology continues to evolve, it is always possible that Nokia may revisit the idea in the future.

Back