Why Do Different Terms Arising From An Electron Configuration Differ In Energy?

In summary, different electron configurations have different energies because the spin-orbit coupling effect changes the energies of single electron states with the same n number.
Repetit
Can someone explain to me why different terms arising from a particular electron configuration have different energies? For example, for carbon in the configuration [tex]1s^22s^22p^2[/tex] three terms arise, 3P 1D and 1S. These three terms have different energies but I don't understand why. The electron configuration is given, so what changes between the three terms? How can they have different energies?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 2 electrons occupying the p-orbital. There are only 3 spin configurations the electrons can have.

spin up-spin up
spin down-spin down
spin up-spin down

These configurations are different in energy.

Thanks for the reply! But, in an f-shell with 3 electrons for instance, even if we assume that the 3 electrons all have spin up we still get several atomic terms. How can that be, what degrees of freedom are left when the configuration is locked and the spins of the electron is also locked. The distribution of electrons within the f-shell maybe? But the [tex]m_l[/tex] quantum number of the electrons in the shells shouldn't matter for the energy should it?

I'm not entirely sure from your post, but I think you're talking about the energy levels in the LS or Russell-Saunders coupling scheme for multi-electron atoms. The basic idea is that apart from the electrostatic attraction from the nucleus and repulsion of electrons from each other, the next greatest contributing factor is the relativistic effect of spin-orbit coupling. Loosely speaking, an electric field in one frame turns into something involving a magnetic field in another frame --- the moving electron actually sees a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts the spin magnetic moment of the electron, to produce a further splitting between certain orbitals --- the fine structure. The term is proportional to [tex]\hat{L}\cdot\hat{S}[/tex] so [tex]\hat{J}[/tex] commutes with the Hamiltonian, where the L, S and J refer to the total angular momentum of the respective type, summed over all the electrons. Thus we can label the atomic (i.e. multi-electron states) with the term symbols [tex]^{2S+1}L_J[/tex]. Thus we need to calculate all the allowed states of S and L for a given set of electrons. It's slightly simplified as we only need to think about the electrons not in a full subshell. However, it's slightly complicated by the need to consider exchange antisymmetry.

So the answer to your question is that different alignments of spin and angular momentum give different energies.

If you want, I can work through some examples of calculating the allowed states, their term symbols and their relative energies (qualitatively).

That makes sense to me... Thank you. :) And yes, I am talking about energy levels for multielectron atoms in the Russel-Saunder coupling scheme.

But, what I am basically trying to do is to calculate the energy of excited states of some atoms without the effect of spin-orbit. Now, let's say I have an atom with the configuration [tex][Ar]3d^2[/tex] so that the two outermost electrons are d electrons and the only shell which is not full is this d shell. If the two electrons are assumed to be spin-up electrons, I get two different terms, a 3F term and a 3P term. Now, there's some energy difference between these two terms right? I just don't understand why, because the electron configuration is given and I assumed that the electrons are both spin-up electrons. So how can these two terms differ in energy? Maybe I've misunderstood something.

Without spin-orbit coupling, single electron states with the same n number have the same energy, and multi-electron systems just have the sum of the energies. So yes, you're absolutely correct --- the energies would be the same. No amount of changing spins or orbital angular momentum orientation (m_l values) would change the energy.

genneth i would love to see your worked examples, especially concerning
L = l1+ l2, l1+ l2 -1, l1+ l2 -2,… |l1- l2|.

[tex]L = l_1+ l_2, l_1+ l_2 -1, l_1+ l_2 -2,… |l_1- l_2|. [/tex]

1. What is an electron configuration and why is it important?

An electron configuration is a representation of how electrons are arranged in an atom or molecule. It is important because it helps us understand the chemical and physical properties of elements and how they interact with each other.

2. Why do different terms arising from an electron configuration differ in energy?

Different terms arise from an electron configuration because electrons can occupy different energy levels or orbitals within an atom. These energy levels have different amounts of energy associated with them, which results in the different terms having varying energy levels.

3. How does the number of electrons in an atom affect its electron configuration?

The number of electrons in an atom determines the energy level or orbital that each electron occupies. The placement of electrons in different orbitals is what makes the electron configuration unique for each element.

4. Can an electron configuration change?

Yes, an electron configuration can change. This can occur through chemical reactions or when an atom absorbs or releases energy. When there is a change in the number of electrons or their arrangement, the electron configuration will also change.

5. How does electron configuration influence an element's chemical properties?

The electron configuration of an element directly affects its chemical properties. The number and arrangement of electrons determine an element's reactivity, ability to form compounds, and other chemical behaviors. This is why elements in the same group of the periodic table often have similar chemical properties, as they have the same number of valence electrons and similar electron configurations.