Why Do Homes Have Electrical Outlets with Constant Voltage?

In summary: Oops, thanks for catching my typo, Mark. I'll strikeout and fix my post above. Thanks.In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons why houses have electrical sockets that output a constant voltage rather than a constant current. Various factors such as the application of Ohm's Law, the use of voltage sources for power distribution, and the limitations of using a constant current source for AC power are mentioned. The conversation also touches on the potential impact on devices such as motors if a constant current source was used for power distribution.
doublemint
My friend asked me why do houses have electrical sockets that output a constant voltage rather than a constant current.
For the life of me, I couldn't answer it..

Anyone help me out?

Thanks,
DM

Physics news on Phys.org
doublemint said:
My friend asked me why do houses have electrical sockets that output a constant voltage rather than a constant current.

Anyone help me out?

Thanks,
DM

The current drawn from the voltage source is dependent on the resistance of the load, according to Ohm's Law:

[STRIKE]V = V x R[/STRIKE] V = I x R

Or

I = V/R

Constant current sources have their applications in electronics, but not in power distribution. You use voltage sources for power distribution.EDIT -- Just to add a bit more... Common power sources like batteries and electric generators are voltage sources, not current sources.

Last edited:
doublemint said:

Anyone help me out?

Thanks,
DM

I forget now how it works (I'm sure some one can correct me) if you where to use constant current then the frequency would vary with load which would mean certain devices such as synchro motors wouldn't spin at a predictable speed.

rollcast said:
I forget now how it works (I'm sure some one can correct me) if you where to use constant current then the frequency would vary with load which would mean certain devices such as synchro motors wouldn't spin at a predictable speed.

If you used an AC current source, why would varying the frequency change the power output (to adjust to the load)? I'm not understanding what you are saying...

berkeman said:
If you used an AC current source, why would varying the frequency change the power output (to adjust to the load)? I'm not understanding what you are saying...

I asked my physics teacher this same question one time and he said that if you had a constant current ac source then the frequency wouldn't be constant and that would affect ac powered motors?

berkeman said:
The current drawn from the voltage source is dependent on the resistance of the load, according to Ohm's Law:

V = V x R
I'm sure you mean V = I x R.
berkeman said:
Or

I = V/R

Constant current sources have their applications in electronics, but not in power distribution. You use voltage sources for power distribution.

EDIT -- Just to add a bit more... Common power sources like batteries and electric generators are voltage sources, not current sources.

Mark44 said:
I'm sure you mean V = I x R.

Oops, thanks for catching my typo, Mark. I'll strikeout and fix my post above. Thanks.

Related to Why Do Homes Have Electrical Outlets with Constant Voltage?

1. What is the purpose of electrical outlets in a home?

Electrical outlets in a home serve as a source of power for various electronic devices and appliances. They are designed to provide a safe and convenient way to connect electrical cords and plugs to the home's electrical system.

2. How many electrical outlets should be in a room?

The number of electrical outlets in a room depends on the size and purpose of the room. As a general rule, there should be at least one outlet every 12 feet along the walls. Rooms such as kitchens and living rooms may require more outlets to accommodate multiple appliances and electronics.

3. Can I add more outlets to my home?

Yes, it is possible to add more electrical outlets to a home. However, this should always be done by a licensed electrician to ensure the safety and proper installation of the outlets. Adding outlets may also require upgrading the home's electrical system to handle the additional load.

4. Why do some outlets have three prongs?

The third prong on an outlet is called a ground pin and is a safety feature. It connects to the ground wire in the home's electrical system and helps to protect against electric shock in the event of a short circuit or other electrical issue.

5. What should I do if an outlet is not working?

If an outlet is not working, the first step is to check the circuit breaker or fuse box to see if the circuit has been tripped or the fuse has blown. If that is not the issue, then the outlet may need to be replaced or repaired by a professional electrician. It is important to never attempt to fix an electrical outlet yourself as it can be dangerous.