Why do I feel more tired after going back to sleep?

• Thread starter iggybaseball
  • Start date
In summary, many people experience feeling energetic when waking up an hour or two before their intended wake-up time, but then feel tired when they actually get up. This is due to the natural sleeping cycles that our bodies go through. When we wake up naturally, we are at the end of a cycle and feel refreshed, but when an alarm clock interrupts our deep sleep, we can feel more tired. One possible solution to this is to use a stun gun as an alarm to wake us up at the right time.
iggybaseball
I've noticed that I often wake about an hour or two before I should get up. When I awake, I often feel pretty energetic but I go back to sleep because of course, I have a couple more hours awaiting me. Then when I wake up the second time, I can feel "dead" or really tired. Does anyone know why this occurs? Does this happen to anyone else? And often when I wake up early, I haven't gotten enough sleep (for example, 5 hours) so I don't think it's an issue of oversleeping. Well thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
yeah, I know this effect very well :-p
it happens to everyone, the explanation is: sleeping cycles.
when you wake-up naturally its in the end of a cycle, but when the alarm-clock is waking you up it could be in the stage of deep sleep, and then you get up really tired.
http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm

You could program a stun gun to wake you up the second time, then you wouldn't have to worry about being dead tired. :-p

Related to Why do I feel more tired after going back to sleep?

1. How much sleep do I need each night?

The recommended amount of sleep for adults is 7-9 hours per night. However, this can vary for individuals and may change throughout different stages of life.

2. What is the best time to go to sleep?

The best time to go to sleep is around 10-11pm. This is when our body's natural sleep cycle, known as the circadian rhythm, is at its lowest point and we are more likely to fall asleep quickly.

3. Can I catch up on lost sleep?

Yes, you can catch up on lost sleep by getting more sleep the following night or taking naps throughout the day. However, consistently getting less sleep than recommended can lead to long-term negative effects on our health.

4. Why do we dream?

The exact purpose of dreams is still unknown, but it is believed that they serve as a way for our brains to process and consolidate information and emotions from the day. Dreams can also be a reflection of our subconscious thoughts and desires.

5. What are some tips for improving sleep quality?

Some tips for improving sleep quality include maintaining a consistent sleep schedule, creating a comfortable sleep environment, avoiding caffeine and electronics before bed, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation. It is also important to address any underlying medical or psychological issues that may be affecting sleep.