Why do people write lines ax + by = c instead of y = mx + b?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary: Which, of course, can be given from the general form of the line by letting b=0 and then letting k=c/a.The symmetry becomes even stronger if you use projective coordinates -- i.e. if Z is nonzero, then (X:Y:Z) refers to the point (X/Z, Y/Z). In these coordinates, the equation of a line is most conveniently written as:aX + bY + cZ = 0(quick exercise: prove that if (X:Y:Z) and (X':Y':Z') define the same affine point, then either both points satisfy the above equation, or neither does)And how do you deal
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Yeah that always confuses me, why do books sometiems refer lines implicitly?

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea why they do it, but one good reason to write it that way is because there's no "privileged" coordinate in a plane.

Think about the equation for a circle -- it only gets confusing when you try to define y as a "function" of x or vice-versa.

ax + by = c is a more general form than y = mx + b. That's probably why it is called the "general form". Not all straight lines can be written in the y = mx + b form. Try to write the vertical line through (5,0) that way.

I write the equation of the line [tex]y=mx+c[/tex]...

It's more general, when you come on to planes which are written [tex]ax+by+cz=d[/tex], it's a nice generalisation of the equation of the line.

hunt_mat said:
I write the equation of the line [tex]y=mx+c[/tex]...

It's more general, when you come on to planes which are written [tex]ax+by+cz=d[/tex], it's a nice generalisation of the equation of the line.

And how do you deal with the issue that LCKurtz brought up?

I was attempting some humour there...

But the point is well said, i normally just write x=k for vertical lines.

hunt_mat said:
I was attempting some humour there...

But the point is well said, i normally just write x=k for vertical lines.

Which, of course, can be given from the general form of the line by letting b=0 and then letting k=c/a.

The symmetry becomes even stronger if you use projective coordinates -- i.e. if Z is nonzero, then (X:Y:Z) refers to the point (X/Z, Y/Z). In these coordinates, the equation of a line is most conveniently written as:
aX + bY + cZ = 0​
(quick exercise: prove that if (X:Y:Z) and (X':Y':Z') define the same affine point, then either both points satisfy the above equation, or neither does)
(aside: Z=0 corresponds to the "points at infinity" on the "projective plane")

1. Why is the standard form of a line written as ax + by = c instead of y = mx + b?

The standard form of a line, ax + by = c, is often used in mathematics and science because it allows for a more general representation of a line. This form is useful for solving problems involving equations with multiple variables and is commonly used in systems of equations and linear programming.

2. Is there a specific reason why the variables are written in the order of ax + by = c?

The order of the variables, ax + by = c, is not arbitrary. The letters a and b represent the coefficients of the x and y terms, respectively. By writing the equation in this order, it is easier to see the relationship between the coefficients and the corresponding variables.

3. Why is the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, more commonly taught in schools?

The slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, is often taught in schools because it is a more intuitive way of understanding the slope and y-intercept of a line. This form is useful for graphing lines and understanding their behavior. It is also a more convenient form for solving problems involving finding the slope or y-intercept of a line.

4. Can the standard form, ax + by = c, be converted to the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b?

Yes, the standard form, ax + by = c, can be converted to the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, by solving for y. This involves isolating the y variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the remaining terms. The resulting equation will have the same slope and y-intercept as the original equation.

5. Are there any advantages to using the standard form over the slope-intercept form?

Yes, there are advantages to using the standard form of a line. As mentioned before, it is useful for solving problems involving equations with multiple variables. Additionally, it is a more general form that can be used for a variety of mathematical and scientific applications. In some cases, the standard form may also be easier to work with algebraically compared to the slope-intercept form.