Why do superior mirages sometimes appear upright?

• Thread starter Zaephou
  • Start date
In summary, mirages are an optical phenomenon that can cause objects to appear inverted. This inversion is a property of all mirages, but superior mirages can sometimes appear upright as well. This can be due to certain atmospheric conditions that can alleviate the initial inversion. However, it is also possible that superior mirages that appear upright never experienced inversion in the first place. The physics behind this phenomenon involves the bending of light rays due to temperature gradients in the atmosphere. For more detailed information and credible sources on this topic, a Google search can provide helpful resources. Remember to do your own research before seeking assistance.
Zaephou
I know that image inversion is a property of all mirages, and that should mean that mirages should appear upside down right?

But I found out that superior mirages can sometimes be upright as well as upside down. How can this be? Is there some reason that allows superior mirages to alleviate their initial inversion, or do superior mirages that appear upright never get inverted in the first place?

Can you please explain the physics of this phenomenon in detail and why this happens. Please include credible sources in your answer as well thanks :)

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Zaephou said:
I know that image inversion is a property of all mirages, and that should mean that mirages should appear upside down right?

But I found out that superior mirages can sometimes be upright as well as upside down. How can this be? Is there some reason that allows superior mirages to alleviate their initial inversion, or do superior mirages that appear upright never get inverted in the first place?

Zaephou said:
Can you please explain the physics of this phenomenon in detail and why this happens. Please include credible sources in your answer as well thanks :)
Is this a schoolwork/homework question?

You can find much of this information online by google search. One such example is this site:

https://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/supmrge.htm

My suggestion is to do your research first before asking for help here. Remember we can't do your homework or paper assignment for you but can only guide you toward your answer.

With that said, we are closing the thread.

Likes berkeman

What is a superior mirage?

A superior mirage is a type of optical illusion that occurs when the temperature of the air near the ground is colder than the air above it, causing light rays to bend and create a distorted image.

Why do superior mirages sometimes appear upright?

This is due to the temperature inversion phenomenon, where the temperature of the air increases with altitude. This causes light rays to bend upwards, creating the illusion of an upright image.

What causes the temperature inversion phenomenon?

The temperature inversion phenomenon is typically caused by large bodies of water or cold air masses moving into an area, creating a layer of cold air near the ground.

Do all superior mirages appear upright?

No, not all superior mirages appear upright. The orientation of the mirage depends on the specific atmospheric conditions and the angle at which the light is passing through them.

Can superior mirages be seen in any location?

Yes, superior mirages can occur in any location where there is a significant temperature difference between the air near the ground and the air above it.