Why Does a Ball Rotate When Thrown and What Forces Keep it in the Air?

• Thread starter student34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of objects rotating with the Earth's surface and the forces acting on them. It also touches on the idea of objects occupying the same space and the role of electromagnetic interactions in preventing this. There is also mention of quantum mechanics and its implications for the behavior of matter.
student34
When I throw a ball up vertically in the air, why does it rotate with the Earth around the Earth's axis? What force is acting horizontally above the Earth's surface to keep the ball above the point that I threw it as the Earth rotates as well as orbits the Sun? Does the Earth's rotation cause a gravitational torque or something like that?

So just imagine someone on Mars looks through a telescope and sees me throw the ball up in the air. What forces would the Martian assume is keeping the ball above the point that I threw it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the Newton's first law of motion say?

Ignoring air resistance - you and the ball are co-travelling with the Earth's surface prior to tossing the ball upwards.

This co-travelling velocity is tangential to the Earth's surface, and is fast enough to make the Earth go around once in 24 hours. At the equator this is 40,000 km/24 hours. This very rapid horizontal motion is not noticed by us except on windy days - the tropospheric atmosphere near the Earth's surface mostly travels with the ground, but not always.

Now consider the vertical speed of your tossed ball - only a few meters per second. Thus most of the speed is along the surface of the earth, and for the limited time of your toss-up game you will not notice the relative motion of the earth.

But if you throw things really, really high (or drop them from a very high tower) it is possible to note some slippage. Which way will the Martian expect this slippage to occur? Will it be different on the Earth with its atmosphere from what would be observed if you were on the airless moon?

Note: no extra forces come into play here. Gravity is always pulling towards the center of the Earth (or moon), and everything else is initial velocities, vertical and horizontal.

UltrafastPED said:
Ignoring air resistance - you and the ball are co-travelling with the Earth's surface prior to tossing the ball upwards.

This co-travelling velocity is tangential to the Earth's surface, and is fast enough to make the Earth go around once in 24 hours. At the equator this is 40,000 km/24 hours. This very rapid horizontal motion is not noticed by us except on windy days - the tropospheric atmosphere near the Earth's surface mostly travels with the ground, but not always.

Now consider the vertical speed of your tossed ball - only a few meters per second. Thus most of the speed is along the surface of the earth, and for the limited time of your toss-up game you will not notice the relative motion of the earth.

But if you throw things really, really high (or drop them from a very high tower) it is possible to note some slippage. Which way will the Martian expect this slippage to occur? Will it be different on the Earth with its atmosphere from what would be observed if you were on the airless moon?

Note: no extra forces come into play here. Gravity is always pulling towards the center of the Earth (or moon), and everything else is initial velocities, vertical and horizontal.

I think that I got it. Is it that my particles were added to the Earth at just the right speed such that the ground, ball and I are basically satellites that orbit the Earth at a tangentially mutual speed? And is the reason why we do not sink into the ground or leave Earth's orbit because our acceleration going away from the Earth is equal to Earths gravity g?

There is a general conclusion that objects cannot occupy the same space, even in a black hole, although the 'arrangement' in space is done very efficient;)

student34 said:
I think that I got it. Is it that my particles were added to the Earth at just the right speed such that the ground, ball and I are basically satellites that orbit the Earth at a tangentially mutual speed?
You are not in an orbit, but everything around you moves with (nearly) the same speed, yes.

And is the reason why we do not sink into the ground or leave Earth's orbit because our acceleration going away from the Earth is equal to Earths gravity g?
No. Then everything would float around. You don't sink into the ground because of electromagnetic interactions between the atoms of you and the atoms of the ground.

kyrill said:
There is a general conclusion that objects cannot occupy the same space
This is wrong.
Macroscopic objects will repel each other if you try to "combine" them, but in quantum mechanics, multiple objects at the same place are no problem. You can even do the same thing with superfluid helium on a macroscopic level. Two different liquids in the same place, with independent flows.

Last edited:
mfb said:
No. Then everything would float around. You don't sink into the ground because of electromagnetic interactions between the atoms of you and the atoms of the ground.

But matter among other matter with the same density does kind of "float": water, air, layers of dirt etc.

student34 said:
But matter among other matter with the same density does kind of "float": water, air, layers of dirt etc.
This first requires that the matter cannot pass through each other. And you do not have the same density as air.

"This is wrong.
Macroscopic objects will repel each other if you try to "combine" them, but in quantum mechanics, multiple objects at the same place are no problem. You can even do the same thing with suprafluid helium on a macroscopic level. Two different liquids in the same place, with independent flows."
In quantum mechanical realms objects are not comparable to macro objects any more and are called particles and not often objects? But can even fundamental particles (with a wave property) in actual reality occupy the same space? If some can, they cannot collide or influence their path?

If particles with mass can occupy the same space, how can a black hole grow?

Last edited:
What happens to these electromagnetic interactions under conditions with supra helium? Does it allow the second liquid to enter these spaces first forbidden?
In superfluids, the description "there is an atom at this place" becomes meaningless - "passing through each other" is really a macroscopic description.
In quantum mechanical realms objects are not comparable to macro objects any more and are called particles and not often objects?
I don't understand that question.
But can even fundamental particles (with a wave property) in actual reality occupy the same space?
What is "actual reality"? In our best theories to describe those objects, they can.
If some can, they cannot collide or influence their path?
They can still interact with each other. Actually, interaction is stronger if they do.
If particles with mass can occupy the same space, how can a black hole grow?
The size of a black hole usually refers to its Schwarzschild radius - the point where gravity reaches a specific strength (simplified description). This has nothing to do with the size of regular objects.

ok thx
but: "he size of a black hole usually refers to its Schwarzschild radius - the point where gravity reaches a specific strength (simplified description). This has nothing to do with the size of regular objects. "
does not convey black holes are smaller than its S. radius, explaining their invisibility. It is not so unlikely to assume that when this Schwarzschild radius grow especially as the black hole (BH) catches or absorbs new mass, it grows.
Does not the growing 'proofs' in the end even particles cannot collapse in each other? If yes they can, how does a BH grow?
I apologize for that question. at that level it is all guessing :)
In my original reply I never intended to include sub atomic realities. Still I am very curious to your mentioned superfluids how they can invade the 'space 'first blocked by EM forces

Last edited:
kyrill, the OP is asking about the earth, not black holes. Please do not hijack his/her thread. If you are interested in black holes then please open your own thread in the Relativity section.

hmm
I referred to Earth as well, wasn't it you who introduced particles physics in order to prove how wrong my original answer was to the original poster? Then I responded on yr responses in order to understand you. I have no specific interest in black holes.
my apology for the misunderstanding

kyrill said:
hmm
I referred to Earth as well, wasn't it you who introduced particles physics in order to prove how wrong my original answer was to the original poster? Then I responded on yr responses in order to understand you. I have no specific interest in black holes.
my apology for the misunderstanding

You need to pay closer attention. DaleSpam post to you was his FIRST post in this thread. So it certainly wasn't him who "... introduced particle physics..." in this thread.

In any case, you are hijacking this thread. Please let us answer the OP's question, which did not require us to invoke any the issues that you had brought up.

Zz.

mfb said:
Macroscopic objects will repel each other if you try to "combine" them, but in quantum mechanics, multiple objects at the same place are no problem.

Doesn't that statement contradict the Pauli Exclusion Principle for Fermions? On the face of it, it seems to.

sophiecentaur said:
Doesn't that statement contradict the Pauli Exclusion Principle for Fermions? On the face of it, it seems to.

No. The PEP says a composite system of identical fermions must have an antisymmetric state, meaning the fermions making up the (factorized) component states cannot be the same. But the component states "not being the same" means all eigenvalues characterizing the component states cannot be the same-position isn't the only factor.

Hey WBN! When did you last clear out your mail inbox? Tried to send you a pm ;)

According to question asked by Student34
Bandersnatch`s answer is best

1. Why does a ball rotate when thrown?

A ball rotates when thrown due to the principle of angular momentum. When a force is applied to the ball (in this case, the throwing motion), it causes the ball to spin around its axis. This spinning motion is known as angular momentum, and it is what causes the ball to rotate when thrown.

2. What forces keep the ball in the air?

The two main forces that keep the ball in the air are gravity and air resistance. Gravity pulls the ball down towards the ground, while air resistance (or drag) pushes against the ball and slows it down. These two forces work together to keep the ball in the air for a certain amount of time before it eventually falls to the ground.

3. How does spin affect the ball's trajectory?

Spin affects the ball's trajectory by creating a force known as the Magnus effect. When a ball is spinning, it creates a difference in air pressure on either side of the ball. This difference in pressure causes the ball to curve in the direction of the lower pressure, resulting in a curved trajectory.

4. Does the shape of the ball affect its rotation and flight?

Yes, the shape of the ball can greatly affect its rotation and flight. A spherical ball, such as a basketball or baseball, will rotate more smoothly and have a more predictable flight path compared to a non-spherical ball. The shape also affects the way air flows around the ball, which can impact the amount of drag and the ball's trajectory.

5. How does air density affect the ball's rotation and flight?

Air density plays a significant role in the ball's rotation and flight. In denser air, there is more resistance and drag on the ball, causing it to slow down and fall to the ground more quickly. This can also affect the amount of spin on the ball and how much it curves in flight. Changes in air density, such as at higher altitudes, can impact the ball's behavior in the air.