Why Does a Coin Behave Differently When Placed on a Magnet?

• Thread starter Cluelessness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about studying the motion of a coin placed on a magnet. The individual is asking for recommendations on reliable sources for their research, and suggestions include physics textbooks, online databases, and reaching out to experts in the field. The importance of critically evaluating sources is also emphasized.
Cluelessness

Homework Statement

Place a coin vertically on a magnet. Incline the coin relative to the magnet
and then release it. The coin may fall down onto the magnet or revert to its
vertical position. Study and explain the coin’s motion.

Just wanted to know, does anyone know any good sources i.e books where I can find more information so I can actually solve this problem? (Apart from J. D. Jackson. Classical Electrodynamics (3rd ed., John Wiley & Sons, 1998 or H. Goldstein. Classical Mechanics (3rd ed. Addison-Wesley, 2002))
The internet is useless so far, I am sick of fake coins, coins on an inclined plane, and magic tricks. Please help me )=
Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help!

Thank you for your question. I can understand your frustration with finding reliable sources for your research. I would recommend looking into physics textbooks or journals that specialize in electromagnetism or classical mechanics. Some suggestions for textbooks include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. You can also search for articles on coin motion and magnetism in online databases such as JSTOR or Google Scholar.

Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to experts in the field for their insights and recommendations. You can attend conferences or seminars on electromagnetism or mechanics and network with other researchers who may have valuable resources to share. You can also contact professors or researchers at universities who specialize in this area and ask for their advice.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your research. Remember to always critically evaluate your sources and seek out reputable and peer-reviewed information. Good luck!

Related to Why Does a Coin Behave Differently When Placed on a Magnet?

1. What is the IYPT 2012 Magnet + Coin?

The IYPT 2012 Magnet + Coin is a commemorative coin and magnet set that was created for the International Young Physicists' Tournament (IYPT) in 2012. The IYPT is an annual physics competition for high school students from around the world.

2. How does the magnet + coin set relate to physics?

The magnet + coin set was created to celebrate the IYPT, which is a physics competition. The coin features the official logo of the IYPT and the magnet is shaped like a physics equation. Both items serve as a reminder of the importance of physics and the IYPT as a platform for young scientists.

3. Can the magnet and coin be purchased separately?

Yes, the magnet and coin can be purchased separately. However, they are often sold as a set as they are meant to complement each other and represent the IYPT together.

4. What materials are used to make the magnet + coin set?

The coin is typically made of metal, such as copper or brass, and the magnet is made of a magnetic material, such as iron or neodymium. The specific materials used may vary depending on the manufacturer.

5. Is the IYPT 2012 Magnet + Coin still available for purchase?

It is unlikely that the official IYPT 2012 Magnet + Coin set is still available for purchase, as it was created for a specific event in 2012. However, similar items may be available for purchase from other sources.