Why does int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz = 0 ?

• Thread starter laura_a
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking to evaluate the integral ⌠_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz using the Cauchy Integral formula. The function being integrated is not within the domain, leading to a division by zero when attempting to calculate f(z_0). The answer in the book is zero, indicating that the integral is undefined. However, the Cauchy integral formula shows that the integral is equal to the third derivative of cosh(z) at z=0.
laura_a

Homework Statement

Why does Int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz = 0 ?
I have been working on the Cauchy Integral formula and this is one of the textbook questions. This is my working out, the answer in the book is zero but not sure why

Homework Equations

So I am using Cauchy Integral

that is

f(z_0) = 1/(2*pi*i) ⌠_c f(x) / (x-x_0)

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that the function is not inside the domain so there is no integral? But if that is even true is this how you show it.

The question is

Let C denote the positively oriented boundary of the square whose sides lie along the curve lines x = +/- 2 and y = +/- 2. Evaluate

⌠_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz

so I have f(x) as cosh(z)/z^3

and z_0 = 0

so when I try to calculate f(z_0) I get a division by zero, now to ME that means it is UNDEFINED, but the answer in the book says zero. Am I right in my working out and if the integral doesn't exist does that mean it is zero?

Any info would be appreciated.

THanks
Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
Cauchy integral formula:
[tex]\frac{d^nf(z)}{dz^n}= \frac{n!}{2\pi i}\int \frac{f(z)dz}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}[/tex]
Since you have z4 in the denominator, look at the third derivative of cosh(z) at z= 0.

1. Why is the integral int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz equal to 0?

The integral int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz is equal to 0 because cosh(z) is an even function, meaning that it is symmetrical about the y-axis. This results in the positive and negative areas of the function canceling each other out, resulting in a net area of 0.

2. What does the variable c represent in the integral int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz = 0?

The variable c in the integral int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz represents the constant of integration. It is added to the result of the indefinite integral to account for all possible solutions of the original function.

3. How does the value of z affect the result of the integral int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz = 0?

The value of z does not affect the result of the integral int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz = 0. This is because the function cosh(z)/z^4 is continuous and well-behaved, meaning that it does not have any singularities or points where it is undefined.

4. Can the integral int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz ever equal a value other than 0?

No, the integral int_c cosh(z)/z^4 dz can only equal 0. This is because the function cosh(z)/z^4 is an odd function, resulting in the positive and negative areas always canceling each other out.

5. What is the significance of the cosh(z)/z^4 function in mathematics?

The cosh(z)/z^4 function is significant in mathematics because it is used in various applications, such as in the analysis of electrical circuits and in the calculation of certain statistical distributions. It is also an important function in the study of hyperbolic geometry and has connections to other mathematical concepts, such as the Laplace transform and the Cauchy-Riemann equations.