Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does metal heat up under presssure?

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    I was asked by some of my students (6th grade) why does metal heat up under pressure? For example, when you hammer a piece of metal repeatedly, it is hot to the touch.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    friction caused by the insides of the metal moving around when its deformed cause it to heat up.

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Heat (thermal energy) is simply the kinetic (vibrational) energy of atoms in a substance. When one strikes a hammer against another solid material, the kinetic energy (and momentum) are transferred from the moving hammer to the solid material (mass). Assuming that the mass does not move, the kinetic energy of the moving hammer is transformed into sound (acoustic energy, or pressure waves) and heat (thermal energy) in mass of the solid and the hammer.

A hammer blow (impact) is an example of an impulsive load, i.e. the force (and pressure) are applied over a very short time.

One can also generate heat by friction, which is a shear force. Friction dissipates energy as heat.

5. Mar 12, 2009 #4
    Thank you. I actually ended up having a conversation with one of my physics professors about this. She also said that it was the mechanical energy from the hammer transfered into the metal and causing the molecules of the metal to vibrate and oscilate and thus converting the mechanical energy into thermal energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook