Why does my friend say I am wrong?

• Thread starter davedave
  • Start date
In summary, a special fastener is being used to anchor three cables on an east-facing wall in a factory, with each cable applying different loads. One cable applies a load of 300N straight down, the second cable applies a load of 400N horizontally towards the south, and the third cable applies a load of 500N towards the north at a 30 degree angle from the horizontal. The total load on the fastener can be calculated by finding the net north-south component of the cables, which is equal to 333N. The total force can then be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, resulting in a magnitude of 416N.
davedave
A special fastener is used to anchor three cables to an east-facing wall in a factory. One cable applies a load of 300N straight down. The second cable applies a load of 400N, horizontally toward the south. The third cable applies a load of 500N toward the north, but angled at 30 degrees from the horizontal , down toward the floor. What is the total load on the fastener?

my solution
the vertical component of the 500N force = 500*sin30 = 250 N down
the north component of the 500 N force = 500*cos30 north

the sum of the north-south components = 300 north + 500*cos30 north + 400 south
Net north-south component = 300 + 500*cos30 - 400 = 333 N

The 333 N force vector and the 250 N force vector are perpendicular to each other. The vector that represents the sum of these 2 vectors is the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the 3 vectors.
Magnitude of total force = (250^2 + 333^2)^0.5 = 416 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi davedave,

Your reasoning is sound.
But... what happened to the load of 300 N straight down?
You appear to have counted this force as being northward.

hi davedave! :smile:

the 300 N is down

how do you get a north/south component? :confused:

1. Why does my friend say I am wrong?

There could be a variety of reasons why your friend may say you are wrong. It is important to communicate with your friend and try to understand their perspective. They may have different information or experiences that lead them to a different conclusion. It is also possible that there was a misunderstanding or miscommunication between the two of you. Remember to approach the situation with an open mind and have a respectful discussion.

2. How do I respond when my friend says I am wrong?

It is important to stay calm and respectful when responding to your friend. Avoid getting defensive or attacking them. You can ask for them to explain their reasoning and share your own perspective. Remember that it is okay to agree to disagree, and you can end the discussion on a positive note by acknowledging that you both have different opinions.

3. Is it normal for friends to disagree and say the other is wrong?

Yes, it is completely normal for friends to have disagreements and different opinions. It is important to remember that having different perspectives can lead to growth and learning. As long as the disagreement is handled respectfully, it can actually strengthen the friendship.

4. How can I prevent arguments with my friend about being wrong?

One way to prevent arguments is to actively listen to your friend's perspective and try to understand where they are coming from. Avoid jumping to conclusions or making assumptions. Also, remember that it is okay to have different opinions and it is not necessary to always convince your friend that you are right.

5. What should I do if my friend always says I am wrong?

If your friend consistently says you are wrong, it may be a sign of a toxic friendship. It is important to reflect on the relationship and consider if the friendship is healthy for you. You can also discuss your concerns with your friend and try to find a resolution, but ultimately it is up to you to decide what is best for your well-being.