Why does sqrt(24) = 2*sqrt(6)?

• Thread starter nickadams
  • Start date
In summary, when simplifying square roots, we can break the number down into its lowest factors and bring out pairs of factors from the radical. This works because of the fact that for any two non-negative numbers, the square root of their product is equal to the product of their square roots. This can be proven by using the fact that the square of a product is equal to the product of the squares, and the associative and commutative properties of multiplication. Therefore, this method is a valid way to simplify square roots.
nickadams
I realize the process for simplifying square roots is to break it down into lowest factors and then bring the pairs out of the radical, but why does that work? Can anybody offer an explanation?

I know it's a really elementary question but i never understood why it works! :redface:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sqrt{24}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{(4)(6)}[/itex]
Square root of 4? = 2...
[itex]2\sqrt{6}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{24}[/itex]

iRaid said:
[itex]\sqrt{24}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{(4)(6)}[/itex]
Square root of 4? = 2...
[itex]2\sqrt{6}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{24}[/itex]

ya i get that, but i don't understand why it works. To me it's just a little trick that works but i don't know why

nickadams said:
I realize the process for simplifying square roots is to break it down into lowest factors and then bring the pairs out of the radical, but why does that work? Can anybody offer an explanation?

I know it's a really elementary question but i never understood why it works! :redface:

well, it all hinges on this fact:

for a,b ≥ 0, √(ab) = (√a)(√b).

how can we prove this? well, we can just square (√a)(√b) and see if we wind up with ab.

to do THAT, we need another fact (which is probably easier for you to swallow):

(xy)2 = x2y2

because: (xy)2 = (xy)(xy) = x(yx)y = x(xy)y = (xx)(yy) = x2y2.

so...[(√a)(√b)]2 = (√a)2(√b)2 = ab

(by the definition of square root), and since a,b ≥ 0, √a, √b ≥ 0 (we are only interested in the POSITIVE square root), and positive (to be truly accurate, non-negative) times positive is positive (if one of a,b (or both) is 0, then ab = 0, and the square root of 0 is 0).

therefore, (√a)(√b) is indeed the positive square root of ab.

Deveno said:
well, it all hinges on this fact:

for a,b ≥ 0, √(ab) = (√a)(√b).

how can we prove this? well, we can just square (√a)(√b) and see if we wind up with ab.

to do THAT, we need another fact (which is probably easier for you to swallow):

(xy)2 = x2y2

because: (xy)2 = (xy)(xy) = x(yx)y = x(xy)y = (xx)(yy) = x2y2.

so...[(√a)(√b)]2 = (√a)2(√b)2 = ab

(by the definition of square root), and since a,b ≥ 0, √a, √b ≥ 0 (we are only interested in the POSITIVE square root), and positive (to be truly accurate, non-negative) times positive is positive (if one of a,b (or both) is 0, then ab = 0, and the square root of 0 is 0).

therefore, (√a)(√b) is indeed the positive square root of ab.

thanks that was great! But can you explain how you did...

(xy)(xy) = x(yx)y

?

what is that step? I knew (xy)(xy) = x^2y^2 but i don't get your intermediate steps... The rest was crystal clear thank you

x(yx)y is just multiplying, you can multiply in any order and you will always get the same number:

Example: 2*3*4*5 = 5*3*4*2 = 4*5*3*2 = etc..

square both sides. you get the same thing. then what?

iRaid said:
x(yx)y is just multiplying, you can multiply in any order and you will always get the same number:

Example: 2*3*4*5 = 5*3*4*2 = 4*5*3*2 = etc..

oh that's true. Thanks for the help iRaid

mathwonk said:
square both sides. you get the same thing. then what?

24=4*6... so they're equal lol

thanks everyone

nickadams said:
thanks that was great! But can you explain how you did...

(xy)(xy) = x(yx)y

?

what is that step? I knew (xy)(xy) = x^2y^2 but i don't get your intermediate steps... The rest was crystal clear thank you

in more complete detail:

(xy)(xy) = ((xy)x)y = (x(yx))y = x(yx)y

the re-positioning of the parentheses is justified by the associative law for multiplication:

for any 3 (real, rational, integer) numbers a,b,c:

(ab)c = a(bc).

associativity is often over-looked as a property of multiplication because we just take it for granted and often write:

abc, for any triple (or longer) product.

so i could have just written:

(xy)2= x*y*x*y = x*x*y*y = x2y2

(where all i did is "switch" the middle two factors, since multiplication for (real, rational, integer) numbers is also commutatitive).

1. Why does sqrt(24) equal 2*sqrt(6)?

The square root of a number is a value that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. In this case, sqrt(24) is equal to 2*sqrt(6) because 6 multiplied by 2 is equal to 12, which when squared gives 24. Therefore, 2*sqrt(6) is the square root of 24.

2. What is the concept behind the square root of a number?

The square root of a number is the inverse operation of squaring a number. It is the number that, when squared, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3 because 3 squared is 9.

3. How can we prove that sqrt(24) = 2*sqrt(6)?

We can prove this by using the properties of square roots. The square root of a product is equal to the product of the square roots. In this case, sqrt(24) = sqrt(6*4) = sqrt(6)*sqrt(4). Since the square root of 4 is 2, we can substitute it in and get sqrt(6)*2 = 2*sqrt(6).

4. Can we simplify sqrt(24) to a whole number?

No, sqrt(24) cannot be simplified to a whole number because 24 is not a perfect square. A perfect square is a number that has a whole number as its square root. In this case, the closest perfect square to 24 is 25, whose square root is 5.

5. How is the relationship between sqrt(24) and 2*sqrt(6) useful in math and science?

The relationship between sqrt(24) and 2*sqrt(6) is useful in simplifying algebraic expressions and equations. It also helps in finding the square root of larger numbers by breaking them down into smaller square root expressions. In science, this relationship is used in calculations involving areas and volumes of shapes that have dimensions of sqrt(6) and 2*sqrt(6).