Simplifying Sqrt(y^6): Do We Need Abs Value Bars?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether simplifying sqrt(y^6) requires the use of absolute value bars and how the rules for rational exponents can also be used. The conclusion is that absolute value bars are necessary to ensure that the value under the root is positive.
cmajor47
I'm trying to decide if simplifying sqrt(y^6) requires use of the absolute value bars. For example, the rule "nth root(u^n) = abs(u) when n is even" can be used to simplify sqrt(y^6) as sqrt[(y^3)^2]=abs(y^3). However, the rules of rational exponents can also be used to simplify sqrt(y^6) as (y^6)^1/2=y^(6/2)=y^3. So are the absolute value bars necessary when simplifying sqrt(y^6), or not?
I know that the domain of sqrt(y^6) is [0,inf), so does this allow for the absolute value bars to be unnecessary?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cmajor47 said:
I'm trying to decide if simplifying sqrt(y^6) requires use of the absolute value bars. For example, the rule "nth root(u^n) = abs(u) when n is even" can be used to simplify sqrt(y^6) as sqrt[(y^3)^2]=abs(y^3). However, the rules of rational exponents can also be used to simplify sqrt(y^6) as (y^6)^1/2=y^(6/2)=y^3. So are the absolute value bars necessary when simplifying sqrt(y^6), or not?
I know that the domain of sqrt(y^6) is [0,inf), so does this allow for the absolute value bars to be unnecessary?
The absolute values are necessary, for the same reason that ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##.
For your problem, if you wrote ##\sqrt{y^6} = y^3##, the left side is always nonnegative, for any real y, but the right side can be negative when y is negative.

If you specify that ##y\geq 0##, then ##\sqrt{y^6}=y^3## is correct ...

cmajor47 said:
(y^6)^1/2=y^(6/2)=y^3.

Here you are using the property ##(a^b)^c = a^{bc}## which is true only for positive ##a##.

The absolute value bars really become necessary when we have variables under the √ sign.
##\sqrt{a^2}\;\;=##|a|
Similarly, ##\sqrt{y^6}##= |##y^3##|
But we want to make sure that the value under root is positive,
if y=2 then
##\sqrt{y^6}= +y^3 \;\; or\;\;\sqrt{2^6}=+8##
But when we have equation such as
##x^2=23+2##
##x^2=25##
##x=\pm\sqrt{25}##
Then we get,
##x=\pm 5##

I hope it' ll help.

Last edited:
Deepak suwalka said:
##x^2=23+2##
##x^2=25##
##x=\sqrt{25}##
Then we get,
##x=\pm 5##

This is false. ##x^2 = 25 \implies x=\pm\sqrt{25} \implies x = \pm 5##.
##\sqrt{25} = 5##, never -5.

pwsnafu said:
yes, i know. I have misstekenly typed, btw thanks

Deepak suwalka said:
##x^2=23+2##
##x^2=25##
##x=\sqrt{25}##
Then we get,
##x=\pm 5##

pwsnafu said:
The quote from @pwsnafu threw me off for a bit. At first I thought that "This is false" referred to the implication that immediately followed what he wrote. To be clear, "This is false" refers to these two lines that Deepak wrote:
##x=\sqrt{25}##
Then we get,
##x=\pm 5##

1. What does it mean to simplify sqrt(y^6)?

Simplifying sqrt(y^6) means to find the simplest form of the expression by simplifying or reducing the square root of y^6. This involves finding the largest perfect square factor of y^6 and taking its square root.

2. Why do we need absolute value bars when simplifying sqrt(y^6)?

We need absolute value bars when simplifying sqrt(y^6) because the square root function only returns positive values, while y^6 can be positive or negative. Absolute value bars ensure that the final result is always positive.

3. How do we simplify sqrt(y^6) when y is a negative number?

When y is a negative number, we first take the absolute value of y before simplifying sqrt(y^6). This ensures that the final result is always positive. Once we have simplified sqrt(y^6), we can add the negative sign back to the final result.

4. Can we simplify sqrt(y^6) further if y is a non-perfect square?

No, we cannot simplify sqrt(y^6) further if y is a non-perfect square. The expression is already simplified to its simplest form, which is y^3.

5. How can simplifying sqrt(y^6) help in solving equations?

Simplifying sqrt(y^6) can help in solving equations by reducing the complexity of the expression. This makes it easier to manipulate and solve for the variable y. It also helps in identifying any extraneous solutions that may arise when solving the equation.