Why does the 2gnnlo prediction in small diphoton transverse momentum diverge?

• A
  • Thread starter Ramin-k
  • Start date
In summary, the 2gnnlo prediction for small diphoton transverse momentum diverges due to the inclusion of higher-order corrections in the calculation. These corrections, which account for additional interactions between the particles, become increasingly significant at low transverse momentum values. This results in a divergence in the prediction, making it unreliable for accurate calculations. This issue highlights the importance of considering higher-order corrections in theoretical predictions for particle interactions.
Ramin-k
As i know the qt-subtraction formalism is a method to cancel IR divergences, for example in small diphoton transverse momentum . nevertheless I can't understand why the prediction of 2gnnlo in https://arxiv.org/abs/1301.4536 diverges in region of small diphoton transverse momentum (qt) .
thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
are you referring to Fig.1b?

ChrisVer said:
are you referring to Fig.1b?
yes

So, I am not sure I understand your question though... 2gNNLO prediction seems to be far off the data by 2-3 stds in the whole diphoton pT spectrum? At least compared to SHERPA

I think i understand the answer. qt-subtraction formalism is like phase "phase space slicing" formalism suitable for reaction like 1+2->3+4+5 ,that was explained in http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.344.8809&rep=rep1&type=pdf where 3 and 4 have high pt and 5 can be soft or collinear. whereas singularity related to qt->0 originated from 1+2->3+4 processes, consequently for this region of phase space we need soft gluon resummation.

1. What is Qt-subtraction formalism?

Qt-subtraction formalism is a theoretical framework used in quantum field theory to calculate scattering amplitudes. It is a subtraction scheme that allows for the cancellation of infrared divergences, which are mathematical singularities that arise in calculations involving massless particles.

2. Why is Qt-subtraction formalism important?

Qt-subtraction formalism is important because it provides a systematic and consistent way to handle infrared divergences in quantum field theory calculations. These divergences can cause inconsistencies and inaccuracies in theoretical predictions, so having a reliable method to deal with them is crucial for accurate results.

3. How does Qt-subtraction formalism work?

Qt-subtraction formalism works by subtracting out the contributions from virtual particles that are not directly involved in the scattering process. This allows for the cancellation of infrared divergences and results in finite, physically meaningful scattering amplitudes.

4. What are the advantages of using Qt-subtraction formalism?

One advantage of using Qt-subtraction formalism is that it allows for the calculation of scattering amplitudes involving massless particles, which are often encountered in high-energy physics experiments. It also allows for the inclusion of higher-order corrections, which can improve the accuracy of theoretical predictions.

5. Are there any limitations to Qt-subtraction formalism?

While Qt-subtraction formalism is a powerful tool in quantum field theory calculations, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for calculations involving massless particles and can become more complicated when dealing with massive particles. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of scattering processes, and other subtraction schemes may be more appropriate in certain cases.