Why does the cube root function have a discontinuous derivative at x=0?

• Thread starter {???}
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary: Then the derivative is smooth.OK, so you're thinking of it as a smooth curve in the plane, in more of a co-ordinate free sense.One way around this is to parameterise, making x and y functions of some other variable that changes monotonically along the curve. Then the derivative is smooth.
{???}
Hey everyone,

I was just curious about the nature of the cube root function [itex]f(x)=x^{1/3}[/itex]. I know that its derivative is obviously [itex]\frac{1}{3}x^{-2/3}[/itex] which has a discontinuity at [itex]x=0[/itex]. However, in the non-mathematical sense, the graph of [itex]y=f(x)[/itex] looks smooth - I don't see any angles or cusps like [itex]y=|x|[/itex] or [itex]y=x^{2/3}[/itex].

Now, granted, the discontinuity in [itex]f'(x)[/itex] is a vertical asymptote where [itex]\delta(M)[/itex] can always be chosen such that:
[tex]|x|<\delta \Rightarrow f'(x)>M[/tex]
So unlike the asymptotes of [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] for example, or the derivative of [itex]y=x^{2/3}[/itex], the function both sides of the discontinuity "goes to positive infinity" so the tangent line to [itex]x^{1/3}[/itex] approaches the same slope on either side of [itex]x=0[/itex].

My question is: Is this a good enough explanation as to why an apparently smooth function has a discontinuous derivative? If not, why doesn't this violate the definition of a (mathematically) smooth function? (This may border on a philosophical question, so my apologies in advance if so)

Physics news on Phys.org
{?} said:
My question is: Is this a good enough explanation as to why an apparently smooth function has a discontinuous derivative? If not, why doesn't this violate the definition of a (mathematically) smooth function? (This may border on a philosophical question, so my apologies in advance if so)
Yes to the first, but I don't understand your reasoning in the second. How do you think it would lead to such? Mathematically smooth is very much more demanding than apparently smooth.

haruspex said:
Yes to the first, but I don't understand your reasoning in the second. How do you think it would lead to such? Mathematically smooth is very much more demanding than apparently smooth.

My reasoning is best described mathematically as follows (and I admit, rather poorly at that):
Suppose we rotate the coordinate axes by [itex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] (i.e., counterclockwise) and label the new grid [itex](x^*,y^*)[/itex]. We could technically have in this new coordinate system a function [itex]y^*=f^*(x)[/itex] that, although not expressible in terms of elementary functions, describes the graph of [itex]y=x^{1/3}[/itex].

My claim is that
[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}y^*}{\mathrm{d}x} [/tex]
is continuous. For other functions with "clearly" discontinuous derivatives, i.e., [itex]y_2=|x|, y_3=x^{2/3},\ldots [/itex] this is not the case.

Just wanted to point this out because it's different from most other piecewise-smooth functions in that respect. Any thoughts?

Your question is kind of a non-question - your f(x) is not mathematically smooth, that is, it is not in C^inf. It is only in C^0 or D^1.

{?} said:
Suppose we rotate the coordinate axes
OK, so you're thinking of it as a smooth curve in the plane, in more of a co-ordinate free sense.
That's true, but that is rather different from a function. E.g. you could rotate it so that there are multiple y values for some x values, so now it is not even a function in the standard definition.
One way around this is to parameterise, making x and y functions of some other variable that changes monotonically along the curve.

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is the property of a function where the output values change smoothly as the input values change.

2. Is the function f(x) = x^(1/3) continuous at x = 0?

Yes, the function f(x) = x^(1/3) is continuous at x = 0 because the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 exists and is equal to 0, and the value of f(0) is also equal to 0.

3. How do you prove that a function is continuous using the limit definition?

To prove that a function is continuous using the limit definition, you must show that the limit of the function as x approaches a is equal to the value of the function at a, for any given value of a in the domain of the function.

4. Can a function be continuous at a point but not on an interval?

Yes, a function can be continuous at a point but not on an interval if there is a discontinuity at a specific point within the interval. For example, the function f(x) = 1/x is continuous at x = 1, but not on the interval (0,2).

5. How does the continuity of a function affect its differentiability?

If a function is continuous at a point, it does not necessarily mean that the function is differentiable at that point. However, if a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point.